What do i do

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
First of all i appologise for being so thick,this morning for breakfast i had oats so simple golen syrup, i usualy have 7unints of novo but decided to take 9 because of the golden syrup,i started of with bg 9.5 and 1 hour later 13.0 yet to do the 2 hour test. on the pack it says there is 32.8 grams carbs per 36 gram serving,problem is i havent got a clue what to do with this information so could some nice person try to explain it to me.
carole:confused:

Hi Carole, I don't think a 3.5 mmol/l rise is too much to worry about after an hour - don't forget that it looks worse becasue of where you started from. See what it does in another hour and if it is around the same level then I think you have dosed it correctly. With porridge products like Oatso Simple - especially the flavoured varieties - you can get quite an early rise in blood sugars as the oats are very processed (so they cook faster), plus there is sugar in the golden syrup etc. With milk added, you've probably got an extra 10g of carbs, so 9 units for 45g carbs is 1 unit for every 5g carbs.

woops......................

Last edited:
just don 2 hour test its 11.0

just don 2 hour test its 11.0

I think that's fine Carole 🙂 Obviously higher than you would like, but that's because you started from 9.5. It sounds to me like you got the dose just right. Imagine this - if you had been 5.0 to start with, you would have gone up to 8.5 at 1 hours, then down to 6.5 after two hours. You should continue to fall, but more gradually, over the next couple of hours as the novorapid declines. 🙂

I think that's fine Carole 🙂 Obviously higher than you would like, but that's because you started from 9.5. It sounds to me like you got the dose just right. Imagine this - if you had been 5.0 to start with, you would have gone up to 8.5 at 1 hours, then down to 6.5 after two hours. You should continue to fall, but more gradually, over the next couple of hours as the novorapid declines. 🙂

Thankyou you explained that realy well.🙂

Thankyou you explained that realy well.🙂

When you are more familiar with carb counting and adjusting you will learn to add in an extra amount of novorapid if you are higher than desired before eating, called a 'correction' dose. In this case, you might have added an extra unit, for example, in order to bring your levels down that extra bit. For me, if I'd had a 9.5 before breakfast, I would have had one extra unit which would bring my levels down by about 3 mmol/l to 6.5 mmol/l. Don't worry too much about this at the moment though, just get used to estimating doses for meals.

I would slightly disagree with Northerner. Whenever I have read the instructions on Oatsosimple it tells you the carbs that will be in the breakfast if made according to the instructions ie using the packet that the oats are in to measure the milk. In this case the milk will be taken into account in the carbs listed on the packet/box. Though if you use more milk than it suggests you would have some extra carbs for that.

I would slightly disagree with Northerner. Whenever I have read the instructions on Oatsosimple it tells you the carbs that will be in the breakfast if made according to the instructions ie using the packet that the oats are in to measure the milk. In this case the milk will be taken into account in the carbs listed on the packet/box. Though if you use more milk than it suggests you would have some extra carbs for that.

Hi Margie i followed the instructions on the pack but i did add 2 tsp extra milk.

When i did my test for lunch 4 hrs after breakfast down to 6.1🙂 lowest reading since starting insulin.

Well done...........so its really about getting up in the morning bang on........I assume your on a basal dose overnight/throughout the day?

Is that the highest you have went without night time hypo?, if not bump it up a unit...........this is assuming you take it at night..

When i did my test for lunch 4 hrs after breakfast down to 6.1🙂 lowest reading since starting insulin.

Nice one! So it would seem that you provided the dose right for the porridge + milk, and an extra unit which brought you down to 3.4 mmol/l below your starting point at 9.5 mmol/l. Good work! If you can remember/record all these circumstances then the next time you have the porridge you will be able to make a fair assessment of what dose you need.

14 units levemir

Is that the highest you have went without night time hypo?, if not bump it up a unit...........this is assuming you take it at night..

I'd be a little cautious of increasing your levemir without discussing it with your DSN as we don't know your history as well as she will. If it appears to be fine through the day and you sometimes wake lower than 9.5 then you might want to explore other options, such as split doses or if already splitting, changing the amounts of each split.

I'd be a little cautious of increasing your levemir without discussing it with your DSN as we don't know your history as well as she will. If it appears to be fine through the day and you sometimes wake lower than 9.5 then you might want to explore other options, such as split doses or if already splitting, changing the amounts of each split.

Quite right, as your not a seasoned dose adjuster make sure you have been given all the information you need first before you go ahead......😱

lunch was a different story steve made me a scramble egg sandwich with no milk or butter the bread was white though,ihad 8 units of novo this is my normal dose,1 hour later 10.9 2 hours later14.7 so i bviously messed this one up and have also comfirmed i need to stay away from white bread.
sorry if im being a pain.

lunch was a different story steve made me a scramble egg sandwich with no milk or butter the bread was white though,ihad 8 units of novo this is my normal dose,1 hour later 10.9 2 hours later14.7 so i bviously messed this one up and have also comfirmed i need to stay away from white bread.
sorry if im being a pain.

Oh definitely stay away from white bread Carole! It will convert to glucose in the blood quicker than pure sugar! Next time try it with granary or seeded bread and see if that makes a difference. That's the big problem with diabetes - it takes ages (or seems to!) to build up an idea of how different meals affect you and what you can change to improve their effects on your blood sugars.

And you are NOT being a pain! Don't ever think that! Your questions and the responses help so many others and the forum would be covered in tumbleweed if no-one asked them! 🙂

Oh definitely stay away from white bread Carole! It will convert to glucose in the blood quicker than pure sugar! Next time try it with granary or seeded bread and see if that makes a difference. That's the big problem with diabetes - it takes ages (or seems to!) to build up an idea of how different meals affect you and what you can change to improve their effects on your blood sugars.

And you are NOT being a pain! Don't ever think that! Your questions and the responses help so many others and the forum would be covered in tumbleweed if no-one asked them! 🙂

Thanks northener the forum has helped me so much,i wish i could help others more but im probably the last person to give advice because some how i have been diabetic for 9 years and still dont have a clue.
Re the white bread i normaly have the seeded bread but i had run out, steve will bring me some in from work though so i will have some to go with my steamed cod and salad

Thanks northener the forum has helped me so much,i wish i could help others more but im probably the last person to give advice because some how i have been diabetic for 9 years and still dont have a clue.
Re the white bread i normaly have the seeded bread but i had run out, steve will bring me some in from work though so i will have some to go with my steamed cod and salad

As time goes on you will be able to help out more and more - you're already helping with your questions as they might be ones that others wished they'd asked. Also, it doesn't really matter how long you've been diagnosed, it's all to do with the kind of support and information you've had in the past. I've know people with decades since diagnosis and they've never even been told about the new ideas and meds available - this is the fault of those who have not kept them informed and just left them to get on with whatever they are doing. All experiences are useful here, in my belief.🙂

As for white bread, it can be overcome by getting clever and injecting some time before eating, but it can be very hit and miss so not something I could be bothered to try - the seeded bread has so much more flavour! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back