What can anyone tell me about B12 deficiency

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
bearing in mind it can't possibly be caused by Metformin!

The only thing I know about it is that the most common cause is Pernicious Anaemia, which is an autoimmune condition. You have to have B12 injections, because your body can’t absorb it from food (because something called the Intrinsic Factor which facilitates absorption is the bit attacked by the immune system) Most common in women over 60, apparently. I knew someone with it, though we’ve lost touch now, and once diagnosed and on injections, she was fine.

My other half is convinced that taking esomeprazole that he was prescribed for a stomach issue was responsible for his low B12 as it destroys the area of the gut which produces intrinsic factor which is needed for absorption of B12 from foods.
Thus he has to have injections every 3 months.

It can be caused by autoimmune problem which requires injections of B12 on a regular bases or it can be caused by not having enough of the vitamin in your daily food intake.
I got p*ssed off with the run a round from the NHS so went on to the German amazon site and ordered the injectable B12 and treat myself.

Hi Trophywench

I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia and B12 deficiency some years ago. I wasn't surprised really as it just goes along with the raft of other autoimmune diseases I have. It can indeed be caused by long term use of Metformin (you might recall that Moby got it that way) and proton pump inhibitors such as Omeprazole and that class of drug.

My first symptoms were dragging my feet when walking, which caused several nasty falls when I fell over even the tiniest irregularity in the pavement. Initially I was given several booster injections over a period of 2 weeks and then it reverted to 3 monthly injections. I noticed that for some while before the injection was due I was once again dragging my feet and so I spoke to the GP who finally agreed I could have the injections every 8 weeks. They won't move on that one, but I do feel symptoms prior to the injections by about 10 days to 2 weeks, where I find walking uphill very difficult and I tire easily.

There are B12 groups on Facebook who (like Sue) buy their B12 injections in Germany and inject themselves every other day. During lockdown I was given the Cyanocobalamin ampoul and some syringes to self inject. I was a bit too cocky about doing my own injection as a. the syringes are very long and somewhat thick, b. it has to be injected into muscle and I tried doing it in my thigh, but there's no fat cover and I was unsure how far to push the needle in. It hurt, it doesn't when the nurse does it. But that's me, Sue obviously gets on alright with it.

I was on quarterly B12 injections following removal of pancreas. After around 6 years the GP nurse said my blood tests showed normal levels and stopped the injection. There was a slow decline over the next 4 years with a slow increase in joint, ligament, and muscle pains and cramps. There was then a noticeable fall in the half yearly blood test and I've been back on the quarterly injections (following an initial booster) for the last 4 years. Blood test levels are remaining borderline.

Well - the silly thing of course is that dragging my foot was what caused me to stumble whilst walking over a speed bump near the exit to a carpark, hence fall flat on my face and of course old ladies who do that usually land up with at least one fractured wrist from automatically trying to save their face from bearing the brunt. I did that - but because those bits of me were on the 'down' side of the speed bump - my left kneecap landed first and got smashed. It has never, ever occurred to me at the time or since, to query the foot dragging. 'Oh I'm just showing my age a bit I suppose .....' then all this more recent hooha about too many white blood cells and still haven't managed to have any discussion with an HCP who knows about blood, appt with Haematology now rearranged for 27th Sept. Although, no mention of PPIs causing white cell changes, just the red ones. I have had 'low iron' before now though dunno if they test 'U & E' now. I usually get a copy of the letter with the test results the Hosp send to the GP but GP doesn't transfer those to the NHS App. The surgery only puts the results of tests which THEY instigate - or have needed to look at for some reason, onto the App.

Do I wait until I see Haematology or do I run the phone gauntlet at 8am attempting for a GP one .......

I have B12 deficiency and have been on metformin 2grams a day for 17 years.I said this before and one believes.But even my GP does it possible.there another from a gov site.

Best of luck with the 8am scramble @trophywench

Getting hold of a GP appointment is second only to trying to secure Oasis or Taylor Swift tickets o_O

Back