What are your go-to low/no carb secrets for eating out?

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know many type 1s out there eat what they want and bolus for whats needed. You guys are awesome. But [NOW] I'm a low carb-er... idk if it's because I'm bad at math or what but it seems to be easier for me to figure out this crazy roller coaster of diabetes. With that being said what are your go to low/no carb secrets for eating out. Hidden menu items or not? Sugar free coffee drinks? Bunless burgers? Gas station snacks and grabs? Supermarket snacks? What are you easy must haves?

Hello, Elizabeth. I might have a few ideas. But thought I’d tag in the awesome @rebrascora who may be of help get the ball rolling? Now I know @rebrascora & I do use similar tools. We both inject. I don’t wish to be stepping out of line. Can I ask you @ElizabethMcCallister if you inject to manage your diabetes? Or are you using a pump? It wouldn’t be fair of me to offer ideas if you struggle at this moment on a pump. Just wish you safe. Some carbs can be a struggle for me even with the right dose for the carbohydrates.

Where are you based @ElizabethMcCallister ? Are you in the US? That may have a bearing on what outlets and options are available to you.

Can you confirm where in the world you are posting from please?

You mentioned the other day that you had chicken nuggets with veg followed by 2 ice cream sandwiches which I wouldn't consider particularly low carb. What sort of carb limit do you aim for? I prefer to eat "clean" if you like as much as possible, so I wouldn't go for those types of processed foods and I tend to eat out relatively rarely. When I do, I have meals where I can avoid the carbs, or choose how much of them I want to eat, so generally meat like a sirloin or rib-eye steak with plenty of fat and a salad and coleslaw, or a carvery, where I get the meat and then pile my plate up with lots of veg. Not sure if you have carveries in your country, they are kind of a spin off from what would be a Sunday roast dinner here in the UK but some places do them every day of the week. I just don't have a Yorkshire pudding and I skip the potatoes or maybe just have one roast potato and perhaps a piece of roast parsnip and the rest will be cauliflower cheese and cabbage and broccoli or sprouts and swede and maybe a little few carrots and peas.
If I was to go to an Italian, I would have chicken in a sauce with veg. Indian, I have a mixture of side dishes like vegetable bhaji and I might have a poppadom with it and perhaps a spoon of someone else's rice as they usually have too much. If it is a very special occasion and we are going for a Chinese banquet, I tend to be less strict (not that I find it hard to be strict generally as I quite enjoy eating low carb now), but I am not inflexible with my low carb approach. I watch my portions of the high carb items and just jab insulin as I need it for whatever I eat from what is on offer. Yesterday I was at a very low key catered event where there was no choice and it was a hot beef sandwich with gravy and 3 roast potatoes and I just jabbed and ate it but I am back to my low carb menu today. That is a rare occasion and whilst I could have left some of the bun or only eaten one or two of the roasties, I simply decided to eat it all and use my insulin.
I only eat an occasional burger at home. I really can't see any enjoyment or attraction in a big Mac and fries. About once a month I share a standard portion of fish and chips with my partner. I have about 10 chips and half the fish.
Not sure if any of that is helpful to you as you may not have similar tastes to me or similar options of food wherever you are.

Back