What are the top 5 things you would tell a newly diagnosed Type 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My father-in-law has just been told his "score" is 48 and his doctor is concerned about his blood sugars.
He will be having a follow up but he is already reaching out to learn what this all means and what he can do.
Based on the excellent advice I have picked up on this forum over the years, I have given him some tips but I thought I would reach out to those who have type 2 and ask you what you wish you'd been told when you were first diagnosed and any tips I should pass on.
It would be great to get a cross section of views from those who have reversed their diabetes but also from those who have found a way to live with it.

I have intentionally not provided any further details about my father-in-law so this can be a more general conversation.

1. Join this forum
2. At 48, make minor adjustments to carbs per advice on other threads
3. Buy a meter and keep a food diary until you know what your body can cope with
4. Add in some daily exercise
5. Be philosophical- life is for living, everything in balance, it's perhaps a wake up call and will lead to an improved lifestyle

Good luck!

My father-in-law has just been told his "score" is 48 and his doctor is concerned about his blood sugars.
He will be having a follow up but he is already reaching out to learn what this all means and what he can do.
Based on the excellent advice I have picked up on this forum over the years, I have given him some tips but I thought I would reach out to those who have type 2 and ask you what you wish you'd been told when you were first diagnosed and any tips I should pass on.
It would be great to get a cross section of views from those who have reversed their diabetes but also from those who have found a way to live with it.

I have intentionally not provided any further details about my father-in-law so this can be a more general conversation.
1. Get confirmation it is in fact type 2.
2. Be grateful you've had a diagnosis sooner rather than later.
3. Appreciate the free healthcare.
4. Find a decent doctor.
5. Join this forum.

Oh and....it pays to put the effort in.

This all applies to any new diabetes diagnosis.

DON’T PANIC!

Join the forum
Write down questions for the doc/nurse
Buy a BG monitor
Join the forum
Make small changes
Exercise

1. join the forum. i have not seen a GP for two years 3 months face to face and this forum told me more than the GP has.
2. If Type 2, and you are overweight, lose it. I used the Newcastle diet and low carb. Commit to yourself.
3. Enlist help of friends and family!
4. Get the checks done - HbA1C, foot test, eyes etc.
5. Get the free prescription form done.
5.1 try not to panic - ask for help.

Just note that it is the carbs that the fight is with, not just 'sugars'.
Ignore the NHS healthy diet/plate advice
Make small changes to diet in regard to carbs
Increase exercise if possible
Don't panic
Remember 'you' are in charge of your body, decisions, meds, not the doctors or nurses
Remember there may still be a few doctors or nurses that are ill informed or just plain old school (ill informed)
Join and take part in this forum

1. join the forum. i have not seen a GP for two years 3 months face to face and this forum told me more than the GP has.
2. If Type 2, and you are overweight, lose it. I used the Newcastle diet and low carb. Commit to yourself.
3. Enlist help of friends and family!
4. Get the checks done - HbA1C, foot test, eyes etc.
5. Get the free prescription form done.
5.1 try not to panic - ask for help.
With an a1c of 48 you’re unlikely to be started on medication so don’t qualify for free prescriptions

• Keep a food diary and be honest, it's only for you, so if you eat one of the kid's penguins, record it
  • Make a plan, ie if you're overweight, find out what your ideal weight should be, and try to diet/exercise to get there.
  • Don't beat yourself up; T2 diabetes is part genetics, part weight. You can't do anything about the past or if you've comfort eaten because life's been stressful, be kind to yourself.
  • Be realistic about how much (little) support you'll get from your GP/nurse. They are busy and overworked. You'll get more support from the forum and lived experience is valuable.
  • Tell people you're T2 so that they don't offer you chocolate biscuits and cake and inadvertently lead you astray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back