What are 'normal' BS levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a question? If normal blood glucose levels for non-diabetics are between 3 - 5 mmol then how come it is stated that Type 2 diabetics need to have guidelines of between 4 - 7 mmol before meals and 8.5 or below 2 hours after meals?

Surely, the guideline levels are way over what 'normal' levels should be?

I am a Type 2 diabetic, diagnosed last month and although most of the time my levels are within the 'recommended NICE guidelines' I still go over which worries me.

I would be very grateful for some advice and guidance on this question.

It still confuses me too, and I was diagnosed in 2006. I think it is because non diabetics have a normally working pancrerase, but I'm not sure.

What Caroline says is true, especially for Type 1s - if the lower limit were put at 3.5, whixh is commonly the lower limit for non-diabetics, we'd be forever having hypos trying to achieve it. Non-diabetics do go above 5 generally - I think the normal fasting range is more like 3.5-6.5 mmol/l. And non-diabetics can also spike above the top end depending on what they've eaten/time of day/month/etc. but will naturally return to normal levels more quickly.

I believe some Type 2s on diet and exercise with good beta cell function can achieve 'normal' ranges as they reduce their insulin resistance and eat less 'spikey' foods. However, on medication - and certainly insulin - it is very difficult to get such tight control. The insulin works differently when you inject it as it's 'leaked' into the blood instead of mostly heading straight for the liver as in a non-diabetic person. Absorption can therefore vary and cannot be exactly matched to BG rise and fall. We know a lot more than we used to, but without an artificial pancreas we can't quite get there 'manually'!

It is a little confusing!

As a type 1 myself, what I have found over the years is that the medical establishment are wary of people living with diabetes running low blood glucose levels. As it is all to easy to slip into a hypo keeping levels around the 4's, they believe that diabetics should aim for 5+, but below 7.5 most of the day.

As running low consistently (hypo) is dangerous, and evidence is divided on its impact on health, we can see why there is a tendency to push for the upper limit.

Non-diabetics do have fluctuations in their blood glucose just as we do. I was on a DAFNE program recently, and one of the course tutors was demonstrating taking a sample of blood from the finger prior to testing. A reading of 7.1 was recorded on the monitor, this was 2 hours after her last meal. I thought this was rather high, considering she is not diabetic, however she assured us this was a normal reading and it would fall back to around the 5 mark.

Almost all diabetics, be-it type 1 or 2, go outside of the NICE guidelines. Personally, I try to keep below 8, and aim for the 5-6 before meals, but do go outside occasionally.

Regards

Toby

myself personally go for 7s to 9s as normal but thats just me , others are diffirent

Running at the lower limits of normal has a degree of risk, there is increased risk of hypos. Running very tight control also increases the risk of hypo unawareness which can be dangerous and have significant impact on quality of life. It's about running levels which are protective from complications but also safe for day to day life.

If your levels are mainly within the guidelines then thats brilliant. Most suggest that 75% of readings within target is a good % to aim for. Personally I don't mange that I'm usually around 50-60% of readings within target.

because i'm struggling with high blood sugars, i'm just aiming to keep mine below ten. once i get that consistently, then i'll look to bring it down to the 7-8 mark. so on so forth.

thanks everyone for explaining, it does help getting advice and info from fellow diabetics, i'm learning things every day and always seem to think of a new question to ask every day.

Does anyone know of any websites that show the latest monitors to buy as i have heard that you can buy either continuous monitors which continually show your BS readings and talking ones, i would think they are pretty expensive but nonetheless i would still be interested in looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back