Status
Not open for further replies.

adi182

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. At the hospital they told me in had diabetes, showed me how to use the insulin shots and I went home

A week on I've got a repeat prescription setup (still waiting for the NHS prescription card as I've paid for them myself so far). I've phoned up about the libre device and have a talk about those in a few days.

Other than that I haven't got any information on what to do next regarding checkups, tests etc or next steps

I'm trying to put together a checklist of things I need to do but finding it hard to get any information.

still waiting for the NHS prescription card as I've paid for them myself so far
If you need to get more prescriptions, make sure to ask for an FP57 form the pharmacist (if you haven't been already, though I presume pharmacies know about claiming back the charges so will have given you them).
Other than that I haven't got any information on what to do next regarding checkups, tests etc or next steps
There's a set of routine tests that you should be offered at least annually.

You should also be seen by your local hospital team (and learn how to contact them when needed). At some point they should offer training (the best known course is DAFNE but there are local equivalents with different abbreviations). The same information is available online, https://www.mytype1diabetes.nhs.uk/ and https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

My advice is not to wait for dafne or similar, but get yourself into the book 'think like a pancreas,' which is excellent. And ask questions here, though be a bit cautious that you don't apply type 2 advice to type 1 as they can be pretty different

The reason i sayvthat is i had to wait 2 years for dafne, wouldn't want to to wait that long before getting your head around it all, though dafne is good and you should put your nsme down for it

In addition to the medical stuff such as appointments, retina scans and repeat prescriptions, if you drive, you will need to tell the DVLA and your insurance company.
Your driving license will be replaced by one which needs to be renewed every 3 years.
Your insurance costs should not change (it is disability discrimination if they charged more) but you will not be covered if you do not declare it.

It is good to be aware of what to expect @adi182

Keep chasing for your repeat prescriptions and you can claim back any charges that you pay in the meantime but will need to fill in the form FP57. I was surprised when I found that all my prescriptions were free, not just my diabetes stuff. Think of it as a perk of your diagnosis.

I have found that my GP Practice sends me a reminder to book bloods and a follow up appointment, but I log it on the calendar to chase if necessary. I have HbA1c done every 6 months, and then full bloods done annually, usually just before I have my appointment at the hospital with the consultant. Systems vary in different areas.

The retinal screening which is done annually is different from a sight test, and is done at a special clinic. The appointments for these did drift a bit over covid, but in our area are now back on track.

As @hellihas said it is essential that you inform the DVLA about your diagnosis. I did not drive for a while after diagnosis as I wanted to be sure that I was aware of what was going on before I got behind the wheel of a car. The replacement driving license every three years is not an issue, and has been a speedy process for me each time.

Carb counting is the main tool for our management and it is good to start getting your head round that. The Bertie course is useful alongside whatever your area provide. You will soon find that your head is full of carb counts for many things.( I am now an expert of carbs in biscuits from the many meetings Inhave attended) The education course offered in your area is often a requirement for moving onto using some of the tech available to us.

Lots to get your head round initially but plenty of help available on here, where there is a wealth of experience to tap into.

Hi

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. At the hospital they told me in had diabetes, showed me how to use the insulin shots and I went home

A week on I've got a repeat prescription setup (still waiting for the NHS prescription card as I've paid for them myself so far). I've phoned up about the libre device and have a talk about those in a few days.

I'm trying to put together a checklist of things I need to do but finding it hard to get any information.
Sorry to find out your Diagnoses of Type 1 you will need help but over type you will be able to manage your Insulin shots for your self as to how much Insulin you have to take, as your the one living with it you will have your own ways of doing things and keeping your Glucose levels in normal range, take advice but don't let people tell you how to live with Diabetes all Type 1's have the same diagnoses but were all Type 1 but different , get as much help at the start then try learn your self, there is some help out there in the future, i just never got much help. Again realy sorry you are going through this, its for life as well no reversable like some people think but they are Mixed up. They send you letters for Eye checks, to see a so called Diabetes nurse to check your feet, blood pressure and height, they never as me for an appointment tho must be all the cuts being made.

In addition to the medical stuff such as appointments, retina scans and repeat prescriptions, if you drive, you will need to tell the DVLA and your insurance company.
Your driving license will be replaced by one which needs to be renewed every 3 years.
Your insurance costs should not change (it is disability discrimination if they charged more) but you will not be covered if you do not declare it.
Hello i've been a Type 1 since 2003, so being a Type 1 means i have a disability ? Don't seem many people think that over the Years people have been ignorant to my Type 1 hidden illness even when i tell them i am a Type 1 they say oh did you eat to much Cake and Sweets which it totally wrong it's an Autoimmune Disease disability. Iam glad you said that and that it is a disability

Hello i've been a Type 1 since 2003, so being a Type 1 means i have a disability ?

Yes diabetes is covered under the Equality Act as a disability, and while not everyone who lives with diabetes feels particularly ‘disabled’, it does give legal protection, and ensures that, for example, employers have to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to support people living with diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back