What a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Wednesday will see me 'celebrating' the end of my first year as a diabetic (there will not be a cake). I made a promise to myself the day I was diagnosed that I would get this thing under control by the time my first anniversary came around. Hah! Such innocence!! As of this date the Diabetes is firmly in charge and I begin to despair of ever having any control over my life again. It's proved all but impossible to get my numbers anywhere near the desired levels, I'm either too high or too low and never seem to stop long in between. Perhaps that's a function of the weird type of Big D I have, do other 1.5s have this much fun? Being dragged off to St Georges (DO NOT go there folks) after the police had to break in to save me was a terrible shock, I hadn't realised how ill I was. Looking back, I'd been struggling a long, long time and can't now see why it wasn't spotted before.

It gets me down that I do everything in my power to stay on the straight and narrow, eat sensibly, exercise and do everything I'm told and still I can't catch a break with the ever-blasted numbers. I've struggled with weight loss having done well in the early days to now being unable it seems to shift any at all, despite an increased exercise regime and calory counting. I follow a low fat, low salt, low GI diet which is surprisingly not as boring as I thought it might be and try not to have too many 'treats'. I really miss things like fresh fruit, fruit juice and spuds but on the whole it's not too bad.

On the plus side, I now have a job I love after being out of work for many years, even before I was diagnosed. I've seen the good side of PC Plod and the bad side of Dr Idiot, now replaced by Dr Sensible. I've found this wonderful place and want to thank you all for giving me so much support and encouragement. If it weren't for you I'd have given up but knowing you're here gives me the courage and determination to keep going because, however bad it is at times, I know there's others out there who know how I feel.

As I said in the title, what a year! I don't know what the next year holds, but I'm still determined not to let the Big D win.

Wow - that is an eventful year! 😱 You've got a great spirit though - and despite it's challenges I really hope (& am confident) that you will get to feel more comfortable & confident with your diabetes (ride that tiger! 😉) - maybe the first year was just a bit wobbly because a lot was changing, your body getting 'used' to being diabetic, etc... fingers crossed this new year is a great one for you! 🙂

Twitchy xx

You have had quite an eventful year. Thank you for sharing with us.

As you say, life brings up so many surprises, good and bad - good police, idiot / good doctors, restricted diet not as bad as you expect, moving home etc.
Not sure this statement will help, but "give it another year", as things will get easier... No choice really but to keep going.

Alison thats some year hun, lets hope the years to come become alot more steadier, this was your first year with the big D so maybe now with the right diagnosis and good doctor things will become a whole load better/clearer (if you get what i mean) for you.You have a terrific personality and always come across as letting nothing in this world beat you that combined with your determintion to not let diabetes take you down means im sure you will be getting some better numbers and less highs and lows very soon xx

Last edited:
Alison, thanks for sharing your year with us.

I am so pleased that you found a job that suited you, I have been out of full time work for almost 2 years, with only a few short term temp jobs in that time.

At 56 I still think I am too young to be put on the scrap heap.

Alison, continued good fortune for your second year.

what a year but look at what you have achieved as well ally xx

Celebrated this morning by waking up with BGs of 16.3! When I say waking up, I don't think I actually slept at all, I know my eyes were still open at dawn.

Celebrated this morning by waking up with BGs of 16.3! When I say waking up, I don't think I actually slept at all, I know my eyes were still open at dawn.

Im around that figure every monring.........danm liver...😡.......it helps when i drink at the weekends.........🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back