WHAT A LOVELY BIT OF NEWS!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Nothing whatsoever to do with diabetes, but just mega pleases me.

In Kidderminster, where me and my prospective, the first husband bought our house in 1970, the section of the ring road between the bottom of Comberton Hill and the Worcester Road was still being built to begin with and it was a major civil engineering work as they had to construct a high and long retaining wall on one side of it. We both went WOW!! when it first opened (and many more times thereafter) as the retaining wall, far from being boring, was literally a modern work of art in textured and patterned concrete! Nearly every slab of it was different. Plus, just in case that wasn't enough - there was a waterfall from top to bottom halfway along - stunning!

Some people (may have been the council) misguidedly chucked a load of lupin seed along the grass verge which looked great for a couple of years but as nobody deadheaded and deseeded them, they re-wilded and got paler yellow and stragglier as time went on, so looked a ruddy mess and did nothing but looked like an eyesore.

They decommissioned the waterfall in 2008 but it's now up and running again - and the entire wall has received Heritage Status as (!) The Great Wall of Kidderminster!

Love it love it love it!

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@trophywench lucky you! I hope we can drive passed it one day Your wall has heritage status, where I live all we got was HS2 and what an eyesore so far across an AONB!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Annemarie - I no longer live in my former home and rarely have to go anywhere near there, whereas Flutterby has lived there at least since she was little at least if she wasn't born in Kiddy but I dunno cos we only met after I'd moved!

Where I live now has far more ancient heritage ..... a bloke known as the Venerable Bede for starters followed some centuries later by a woman called Mary Ann Evans (wrote a few books under her pseudonym of George Eliot) not far up the road and more recently a chap called Larry Grayson a bit closer than Mary Ann.

A retirement complex is round the corner from our house and is called 'Bede Village' - always makes me giggle that name - oh yes, very fitting, so are the folk who live there THAT ancient? - or what? :D

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@trophywench a lovely place to live. In normal times we stay in Broadway and the surrounding areas are beautiful. We have our favourite pubs etc and have spent odd days in Stratford on Avon.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Riddled with coalmines, Bed'th, @Annemarie ! at least one whole council estate built to accommodate the people from Scotland they redeployed down here to man the collieries, still known as 'The Jock Estate' locally.

Most residential areas here have been built on either a 'Pit Bonk' or an Ants Nest, if not both ...... but yeah I love the whole Cotswolds (and to me that's where Broadway is situate) and the older parts of Stratford being half timbered are indeed attractive. Not so sure the half timbered McDonald's is that picturesque but there you go ....

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think it's interesting where we end up living. I was born in Rochdale, Gracie Field, Cyril Smith and the Co-operative Society fame but after living in various places Surrey, Kent and Berkshire ended up in Coventry where coincidentally my father was born in 1910. I really do wonder what it would have been like then.

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You may remember from TV a woman went to her car and found it had disappeared down into a sink hole. That was near to us, in the 1940s the owner of the clay mines sold the empty tunnels to the Coucil who filled them with rubbish. That gradually broke down so now there are several small and large sink holes around there.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Have a look at https://www.kidderminstershuttle.co...idderminster-great-wall-honour-covid-victims/

and scroll down that page for further pics showing what a variety of different motifs and patterns were achieved

Kiddy Shuttle (weekly newspaper, often called the Shuffle affectionately) is called that because of the carpet weaving industry - as in Loom & Shuttle. There was the local premises of the Loom Tuners Asscn alive and well in Kiddy when we arrived, and seeing the special lift trucks - imagine a fork lift truck with instead of the two forks, instead has one 20ft pole, which when empty hinges back against the windscreen of the cab, and stays vertical when moving along the public road - and manoevering the pole into the first floor aperture at the factory to transport massive rolls of 4 or 5 metre wide broadloom (or several narrower ones) from the weaving sheds to the warehouse half a mile-ish away. Other traffic and pedestrians just had to wait whilst a couple of chaps in company logoed overalls/cowgowns directed the traffic. Never had to wait very long - they were experts!

Utterly fascinating to watch for me - all iron foundries and mucky things to see where I hail from. Admittedly Webley & Scott were there too but you didn't exactly get to see very much except the occasional armoured Securicor vehicle being admitted remotely through the gate.