What a day...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharp00782

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, I have had a right day today. Woke up low at 3.1 (normally about 5) and been completly up and down all day for no specific reason. No change in meals, mood etc. What on earth could cause this. It's giving me anxiety today as checking and trying to stay in range has taken up literally all of my time. God knows what tonight will bring. I have been pretty level all day every day for a couple of weeks now, generally being 80-90% in range.

1.jpg2.jpg

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time today.
That 3.1 at 6.40am with a vertical downward arrow looks like it might be a compression low (lying on the arm with the Libre sensor can cause it to falsely record hypos) as there should not be enough insulin in your system at that time of day to drop your levels so quickly. Did you double check it with a finger prick? If it was a genuine low, then I would guess that it was down to your evening Levemir dose but quite unusual to drop levels so dramatically in the morning. What are your Levemir doses and when do you take them? Did you treat the 3.1 with some carbs as there is no apple showing on your log but there is an injection logged at that time which I am guessing was your morning Levemir??
Did you have breakfast at 8,57 or was that "apple symbol" a hypo treatment because you were on 4.0? It then looks like you injected insulin 40 mins later so if you ate breakfast and injected bolus insulin afterwards then that will be why you went up to 14 and it looks like it was a bit too much bolus insulin since your levels eventually dropped below 4 again.

I know you are relatively newly diagnosed but not sure if you are carb counting yet or not?

Unfortunately the honeymoon period can be tricky and sometimes once you start on insulin, it gives your remaining beta cells a bit of a rest which means they sometimes regroup and get a bit of a new lease of life, so if it wasn't a compression low which started things off in the morning then it may be that your basal doses need reviewing and reducing.

The problem with hypos is that they often set you off on a roller coaster, so preventing them is key preventing the roller coaster starting. However you also have to be careful with Libre and not react to it until you are sure that what it is telling you is correct and sometimes you have to be patient because it is a bit slow to indicate that changes have happened and you can end up see-sawing because you take the info it gives at face value and act upon it and you end up chasing the dragon's tail. I know it is easy to do because I often get into that mentality and I have to remind myself to be patient and wait a bit longer to see what happens before I take action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back