what a day that was !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Well having been diagnosed with what they thought was type 2 diabetis at the beggining of december i struggled through Christmas on my watching my diet and 1 metaformin tablet daily but my blood sugar level just wasnt dropping and i was losing so much weight ( just under a stone in 3 weeks), i went back to my diabetes nurse on monday who took my blood sugar level and also tested for key tones in my urine both were high. she then said "i think we better refer you to the hospital urgently !" Arrived at the hospital yesturday at 09.30 and didnt leave till 15.00 a marathon mot of blood tests eye tests etc you name it i had it done. To cut along story short they have said i am now a type 1 and have to have injections 4 times a day a dose of fast acting insulin before meals and a 24 hour slow release one before bed. Its a change of life but i know i am not alone and this board will certainly help. The only thing i have been having problems with and i know you will all think me silly is the finger testing i can never seem to get enougth blood out !
Any tips
Thanks to you all
Dean

Hi all,
Well having been diagnosed with what they thought was type 2 diabetis at the beggining of december i struggled through Christmas on my watching my diet and 1 metaformin tablet daily but my blood sugar level just wasnt dropping and i was losing so much weight ( just under a stone in 3 weeks), i went back to my diabetes nurse on monday who took my blood sugar level and also tested for key tones in my urine both were high. she then said "i think we better refer you to the hospital urgently !" Arrived at the hospital yesturday at 09.30 and didnt leave till 15.00 a marathon mot of blood tests eye tests etc you name it i had it done. To cut along story short they have said i am now a type 1 and have to have injections 4 times a day a dose of fast acting insulin before meals and a 24 hour slow release one before bed. Its a change of life but i know i am not alone and this board will certainly help. The only thing i have been having problems with and i know you will all think me silly is the finger testing i can never seem to get enougth blood out !
Any tips
Thanks to you all
Dean

Hi Dean, and welcome to the group! Indeed, what a day - thankfully they seem to have caught it before you got to experience the pleasures🙄 of DKA...

I used to have problems with finger pricking at first. Make sure that your fingers/hands are warm - this seems to be the main thing. If they are cold, try running them under the hot tap for a little while (not too hot though!). Make sure the pricking device is set to suit you - mine has a 'variable depth' setting. I prick my finger then hold my hand down for a little while - gravity seems to help. Also, make sure that you leave a few seconds between pricking and squeezing for blood - the finger's first reaction is 'Eek, I've been injured, better contsrict!'. After a few seconds it relaxes and the blood comes more easily.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll soon get used to it! 🙂

i find that warming my hands and moving my hands and fingers before testing helps but most of the new machines dont need as much blood.you are most prob doing this already but it may help

Hope this helps !!!!

Hi Deano, I, like you was diagnosed as a type 2 last Feb. This went on for 6 months and after spending a week in hospital i then saw a consultant at the daibetic clinic who worked out in 5 minutes that i was type 1. Now on insulin and got normal-ish BS levels. Watch for the carbs you put into your body. Try and cut out the pasta, bread, rice and anything flour based.

If you like reading, get Dr Bernstein's "diabetic solution" it's the best book i've read on diabetes and it's control. Regarding the finger pricking try rubbing the end of your finger this helps the blood flow to it. You can also alter the depth of the plunger on most finger pricking devices.

It'll take some time to get used to now you've been diagnosed with diabetes. You'l probably find that you have some really bad days when you feel the whole world is against you but just keep coming on here and asking questions no matter how daft you think they are and there will always be someone with the answer you need or just for some moral support.

Take care and best wishes !!!!!!!!!!!!

... Watch for the carbs you put into your body. Try and cut out the pasta, bread, rice and anything flour based.

If you like reading, get Dr Bernstein's "diabetic solution" it's the best book i've read on diabetes and it's control.

I'm Type 1 and eat bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc. and have very good control. I need a lot of calories because I run a lot. Because I'm on insulin I can adjust this to match my carb intake (see info about DAFNE/carb counting elsewhere on this site).

Just wanted to point out that going low-carb is not the only option, although it may be suitable for some - I'd hate you to feel you had to give up foods you enjoy if it's not necessary for you!🙂

Thanks to you all your kind words and advice are greatly appreciated.

Northerner i would be really interested to know how you get on with your running what you eat and drink before and during a run etc because before all this happened i was a keen runner and have indeed completed 6 marathons the last being london last april, not very quick only 4 hr 30 but i did it thats the main thing.

So any help to get me running again once my levels are stable would be great thanks

Dean

Re finger pricking I'd go along with what everyone else has said about making sure you're hands are warm, possibly changing the depth of the lancet etc.

Like Northener I do I fair bit of running. I only started once I was diagnosed and have found that it's a case of building up gradually, testing your blood and then working out how everything affects you. Whilst I now know how many 'free carbs' I need for a set distance that will vary widely amongst people. As a general rule you need to test your blood before you run to make sure it's not too low (so risking a hypo) or too high before you start and also consider taking on carbs while you run (I tend to go for gluco tabs or fruit juice). You really just need to have enough carbs 'available' for the energy you are expending during exercise.

I found that the DAFNE course was really useful in helping me get to grips with combining exercise with my diabetes. I don't think that many places offer these types of courses when you are first diagnosed (so you're no longer "honeymooning") but I'd recommend doing it if you ever get the chance.

Thanks to you all your kind words and advice are greatly appreciated.

Northerner i would be really interested to know how you get on with your running what you eat and drink before and during a run etc because before all this happened i was a keen runner and have indeed completed 6 marathons the last being london last april, not very quick only 4 hr 30 but i did it thats the main thing.

So any help to get me running again once my levels are stable would be great thanks

Dean

I was supposed to be running a marathon the week I was diagnosed, so it was quite a shock to end up lying in a hospital bed with DKA instead.

You must definitely get back to running again, it'll help in so many ways! First thing to take on board is that you need to be patient and methodical. One of the reasons I always enjoyed running was that you could just go and do it on a whim - now it takes a bit more thought and planning. Unfortunately, there are no clear-cut rules, just guidelines, as everyone is different (a phrase you will hear often here 🙂).

It depends partly on when you intend to run. I used to get up 5:30 am, have a cuppa and go out for a run, and eat breakfast afterwards. I can't do that now, as I need to increase my blood glucose from its fasting, overnight levels by eating breakfast and also have some insulin so that it is 'circulating' and available to convert the glucose to energy for the cells (I discovered that my 'background' long-acting insulin is insufficient). For breakfast I usually have toast or porridge - low GI foods that will release their energy slowly. I wait about an hour after breakfast before preparing to go for a run. Remember also that you'll be burning lots of calories, hence my remarks earlier about carbs.

You have to make sure that your blood glucose levels are high enough to prevent a hypo. For me, this means not starting a run if it's less than 6 mmol/l. If it is, then I have 100ml of fresh orange juice, and this 'tops me up' sufficiently. Note: if it's below 5 I'd also have something more substantial, wait for maybe 30 mins and test again. If it's above 6 then I personally know that I'm OK to run up to 5 miles without risk. If it's high, above 11, then I would wait until it went a bit lower, but this hasn't happened to me often.

Some sources recommend that you test BG every 30 minutes, but I can't be bothered to do that and so far have found I am ok. I do test after the run though, to see what effect it has had. I keep a record of starting BG, length/time of run and ending BG so that I can spot patterns of reactions. Something to note which seems counter-intuitive is that your BG can actually increase during/after exercise as adrenalin can stimulate your liver to produce more glucose - so you will see that it is not straightforward!

Exercise makes the body use insulin more efficiently, and it may be necessary to inject less insulin both before the run and after - the effect can last for up to a day, and I find that cutting my amount by about 25% before the run and 25% before my next meal prevents me going too low. Again, it is trial and error and building up a picture of how it works for you.

For runs of longer than 5 miles I need to top up my BG, so I take along some jelly babies - you could also drink juice or have dextrose tablets. Again, how much you need will depend on how you feel and what you observe from your testing - I find that 3-4 jelly babies per 30 mins is OK to keep me going. I don't usually take anything to drink on a run of less than 10 miles.

Although I don't test when I'm out, I do take my meter with me in case I feel hypo and need to test - haven't needed to so far. Also, carry identification which shows you are diabetic with contact numbers and instructions.

Hope this helps. It's a real learning curve at first getting to know your body and how it's going to react, but once established becomes much easier. As a marathon runner already you'll have a very good understanding of how well your body copes with the stresses of exercise so you have a head start on those who are starting an exercise programme for the first time.

If there's anything else you want to know, let me know and I'll try my best to answer. You might be interested in a book 'The Diabetic Athlete' - details are in the recommended books section of this site.

Finally, do discuss any concerns with your medical team and take care at all times.

Enjoy your running!:D

Last edited:
Many thanks Northerner,

Great advice i will bear that in mind, There seems so much to think about my head is spinning. On the plus side my BGL is slowly coming down so hopefully they will soon have me a little more stable.

Aymes i see you come from Norwich well i live in Wymondham what is the course you are talking about is it run by the N and N hospital ?

Thanks again Guys

Dean

Aymes i see you come from Norwich well i live in Wymondham what is the course you are talking about is it run by the N and N hospital ?

Thanks again Guys

Dean

Fantastic, another person from Norfolk on here, so nice to see, up until joini g this board I didn't know of anyone else ( although obviously knew they existed) locally with diabetes. I've actually been talking with another poster on here about setting up some sort of local diabetes group in Norwich so I'll keep you posted in case you are interested?

Dafne is run from the diabetes center at the n@n. It's an education course which stands for dose adjustment for normal eating. It's essentially an education course that strips you back to the very basics of diabetes and how your body reacts to carbs and insulin as well as how to cope with exercise illness etc. Google dafne and you'll find some great info and definately ask when you're next at the hospital.

Do feel free to ask if I can help at all. I've always had really good experiences at the n&n and I'm sure you will too. I tend to find if you ask you get whatever help you need but it's by always offered if you don't ask!

A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back