What’s causing my mid morning spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilymay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Recently been giving a blood sugar monitor to check how certain foods spike my blood sugars. First evening I had 28g carbs and ending the meal 2 hours later at 8.3MMOL(149MG/DL ). Yesterday I had 50g carbs and ending the meal with a reading of 8.4MMOL(151MG/DL) . Before both these meals my blood sugar was 6.1 mmol (108mg/dl). These after dinner readings were also bedtime readings due to my late meal times.

Both mornings i've woken up (around 6am) with blood sugars of around 8 (148mg/dl) but then when checking mid morning (I don't eat breakfast, first meal is around 1:30pm) by blood sugars have spiked to 10.1 (181mg/dl) and 9.1 (163mg/dl). When checking before my first meal (lunch) it's back to normal levels around 6.6mmol (117mg/dl)

Is there anything that could of caused this morning spike? I haven't eaten anything during this time, so surely it should lower not higher?
Could it be not going down at night and then carb spiking 14 hours later?

I'm guessing the answer will be that I need to track more and eat different things for a more accurate data but just wondered if anyone had an early insights.

Thanks!

IMG_9907.png

Attachments

• IMG_9906.png
    IMG_9906.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 1
It is perfectly normal.
The liver will release glucose to fuel whatever exertion is required to find food in the morning.
By checking my own levels I found that levels are more stable eating twice a day at about 12 hour intervals, with 1/4 of daily intake of carbs in the morning and the rest later in the day. I am obviously more resistant to insulin in the mornings.
To keep my numbers low overall I eat no more than 40 gm of carbs a day, but I was left in ignorance of high levels for sometime before I was given a diagnosis. A blood glucose monitor and regular checking was really useful in the early stages, until I got back to normal numbers.

You might find you get a better result if you eat breakfast @Emilymay If you don’t eat, your body will just make glucose itself for energy.

The 2 hour point doesn't always give the complete picture but is chosen as something that is a fixed period of time and assumes your level is on the way down rather than being at the peak. What can make the difference is the type of carbs you have eaten as they will be metabolised at different rates, more complex carbs will be slower than foods which are more sugary even though they will be the same amount of carb.

So when I get up at 6am it’s worth eating something low carb?

Yes, if it were me, I’d try experimenting with various breakfasts until you find what works best for you 🙂

It is perfectly normal.
The liver will release glucose to fuel whatever exertion is required to find food in the morning.
By checking my own levels I found that levels are more stable eating twice a day at about 12 hour intervals, with 1/4 of daily intake of carbs in the morning and the rest later in the day. I am obviously more resistant to insulin in the mornings.
To keep my numbers low overall I eat no more than 40 gm of carbs a day, but I was left in ignorance of high levels for sometime before I was given a diagnosis. A blood glucose monitor and regular checking was really useful in the early stages, until I got back to normal numbers.

It's not 'perfectly normal', it's a symptom of T2 diabetes and doesn't happen to non-diabetics who produce insulin to deal with the rise.

It's not 'perfectly normal', it's a symptom of T2 diabetes and doesn't happen to non-diabetics who produce insulin to deal with the rise.
The way things are going, type 2 IS the new normal.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back