What’s better Medtronic 780g with guardian 4 cgm sensor or tandem x2 slim with control iq and dexacom g6cgm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simply suzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Having to decide on one of these insulin pumps with cgm (continuous glucose monitoring) and it is difficult to get data on sensor reliability and ease of use of the pumps and how good their technical support can be.
appreciate any feedback and tips on helping me choose….thanks

Last edited:
Hi
Having to decide on one of these insulin pumps with cgm (continuous glucose monitoring) and it is difficult to get data on sensor reliability and ease of use of the pumps and how good their technical support can be.
appreciate any feedback and tips on helping me choose….thanks
I have been using the Medtronic 780G with Guardian G3 for about 18 months. (Moving to G4 "soon".) I had previously been with the 640G for some years, so handling reservoir refills and infusion set replacement had become second nature. In the early days, I had a violent skin reaction to the sensor and was told to put an IV3000 dressing underneath, but the problem went away. At first, I found replacing the sensor a bit fiddly, as it involves fixing oval tapes on top, not easy to keep it straight while removing the backing, potentially a three-handed job. I did have a few sensor failures in the early months, but it is now possible to order replacements online. The consultant told me, in respect of the software, that decides the dose on the basis of an interstitial glucose reading every five minutes, "You have to let it get on with the job. There is nothing you can do and nothing I can do." It is not always perfect, sometimes I can't work out why it reduces the bolus when blood sugar is high, but it is probably better than human intervention. One has to recognise that all it can do if you go low is to cut off delivery, and sometimes that may not be enough. At my last pump clinic, I was told I had been 96% in range, with a complete absence of hypos. (Well, I knew already because it is in the pump memory.) I admit to being biased in favour because it is funded from some experimental source, but I think it is as good as you get. One bonus is the general reduction in insulin requirements. No doubt the alternative is good as well!

I have a medtronic pump and can not wait to have a different make. The consumables are the worst I have ever used in 15 years of pumping. Waited 6 months for a replacement pump as the one I had was recalled. New pump arrived and the first thing it did was scream blue murder at me telling me the battery wasn't installed erm it was, then a week later whilst out on a walk with no warning what so ever pump started screaming at me again telling me the battery was flat and the pump died, I was an hour from home.
Then I gets another recall regarding dangerous/faulty battery terminals, tried speaking to medtronic yet again their call centre was appalling due to not being able to hear what the person was saying due to interference on their headset. Took 5 days for the replacement cap to arrive.

I have been using the Medtronic 780G with Guardian G3 for about 18 months. (Moving to G4 "soon".) I had previously been with the 640G for some years, so handling reservoir refills and infusion set replacement had become second nature. In the early days, I had a violent skin reaction to the sensor and was told to put an IV3000 dressing underneath, but the problem went away. At first, I found replacing the sensor a bit fiddly, as it involves fixing oval tapes on top, not easy to keep it straight while removing the backing, potentially a three-handed job. I did have a few sensor failures in the early months, but it is now possible to order replacements online. The consultant told me, in respect of the software, that decides the dose on the basis of an interstitial glucose reading every five minutes, "You have to let it get on with the job. There is nothing you can do and nothing I can do." It is not always perfect, sometimes I can't work out why it reduces the bolus when blood sugar is high, but it is probably better than human intervention. One has to recognise that all it can do if you go low is to cut off delivery, and sometimes that may not be enough. At my last pump clinic, I was told I had been 96% in range, with a complete absence of hypos. (Well, I knew already because it is in the pump memory.) I admit to being biased in favour because it is funded from some experimental source, but I think it is as good as you get. One bonus is the general reduction in insulin requirements. No doubt the alternative is good as well!
Thank you for taking to let me know your experiences

I have a medtronic pump and can not wait to have a different make. The consumables are the worst I have ever used in 15 years of pumping. Waited 6 months for a replacement pump as the one I had was recalled. New pump arrived and the first thing it did was scream blue murder at me telling me the battery wasn't installed erm it was, then a week later whilst out on a walk with no warning what so ever pump started screaming at me again telling me the battery was flat and the pump died, I was an hour from home.
Then I gets another recall regarding dangerous/faulty battery terminals, tried speaking to medtronic yet again their call centre was appalling due to not being able to hear what the person was saying due to interference on their headset. Took 5 days for the replacement cap to arrive.
hope Your replacement pump is working well

Hello from another 780G using closed loop.

I switched from an Accu Chek Combo direct to the 780G and then into looping using their Guardian sensors. It took some getting used to and I reverted back to my Combo after a couple of weeks, beset with Brexit issues and delays. However I tried again and I am delighted with the outcome.

I have already switched to the Guardian 4 sensor and it does what it says. It requires just one finger prick for the warm up on the first day and then that is it for a week. The constant adjustments work well most of the time and take on a lot of what I was doing. I think a lot less about my diabetes, and having allowed the pump to do its job it does it very well most of the time. I usually have a TIR in the 90s, but dip to 80s if I am doing a lot of eating out as well as limited exercise.

I get hours of sleep, as the pump sorts out any minor errors in carb counting. It checks in with the sensor and makes an adjustment to basal rates every 5 minutes, adding in an extra bolus if necessary of cutting out the insulin if necessary. No more basal rate testing to do at all.

Things still go wrong at times but the warnings are effective. Any sensor issues are dealt with and replacements provided if necessary.

The only bit that took a bit of sorting out is where I am doing extended periods of exercise. I use their temporary target (lifting it from 5.5 to 8.5 ) which reduces any of the automatic corrections, and I also do what I have always done and dribble in glucose (wurthers) during the day. I have found what works for me and to quote my consultant ‘I tell the pump what it needs to know in order to get it to do what I want it to do’.

Now I would always want to be looping. This has probably had the biggest impact on my management, and I am doing far less to make the improvement happen. I think which ever one you go for there will be quirks and irritations but we each find a way to make the best of the equipment we have. Tech available is changing so fast so who knows what will be available next. I opted for self funding my sensors to go closed loop 18 months ago with no expectation that this wouod change. Now being told that with the change in NICE guidelines I will have funding by the end of the year.

Happy to help if you have any questions, and also if you opt for the 780 come back with any questions about that.

Welcome to the forum @Simply suzie

I was on the MM640G and self-funded Enlites, and then G3 sensors. Unfortunately while they are better for most folks (and G4 seem better again) the G3s needed more calibration with my body chemistry, which slightly steered me away from the Medtronic option for my next pump. I also found the Medtronic a bit of an ugly pup of a pump, and quite a lump. I was invited to a thing before the MM640G launched, and at that time there were going to be 2 versions, one with a sticky-up bit to hold the bigger reservoir, and one flush across the top (which I would have chosen) which would only accommodate the smaller reservoirs, like the ‘5’ and ’7’ series Veos.

In the end they decided to only launch the one version, and that sticky-up bit always annoyed me far more that was strictly necessary :rofl:

Having said that, my experience of Medtronic customer service over 8 years was always rock-solid. And Ioved being able to order online consumables directly from the website.

I think they’ve had some tricky times having taken on a lot of new users when Animas went under, but I always found them very responsive and reliable.

The tSlim appealed as it had a much smaller, neater, slimmer footprint than the MM780 (which it the same chassis as the MM640G). I was also intrigued to try a Dexcom sensor as they have had a pretty formidable reputation over the years.

I’d also heard good things about the tSlim from other contacts.

Aside from a few inevitable user-interface and algorithm frustrations I would say that the tSlim is the best kit I’ve ever used. Yes there are small niggles and irritations, but my results have never been better, and I’m very pleased with it.

I also know several others who are very pleased with there MM780, and get great results with it.

Not you’ll find many people who have experience of both unless they had a pretty major issue with one or the other.

If you have a smartphone, you can diwnload a tSlim emulator app which can help you get your head around how the menus etc are laid out.

Good luck with your choice 🙂

I'm also looking into both the 780G and the T-Slim. Quite agnostic about the pump itself although do prefer the size and usability of the T-Slim.

I plan to self-fund the CGM / closed loop. My only experience of CGM was with Dexcom 6 and that was two years ago with no closed loop. I found the thing beeped too much! I often get post meal spikes and the loud beeping was a real pain. I just couldn't get it to beep when I really needed it and to shut up when I already knew there was a "problem". Tried all the adjustments etc. Ended up going back to Flash monitoring with the Libre.

Wondering if the Guardian 4 is similar in operation to Dexcom 6? Or possibly the closed loop system will help smooth my readings and it won't be much of a problem anyway? Just keen to hear experiences, expecially anyone that has used both Dexcom 6 and Guardian 4. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back