West NHS bosses: Don't call 999 unless you're life's in danger this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
NHS bosses in the West have urged people to think twice before dialling 999 or turning up at A&E with minor ailments – because emergency services will be busy and they could put other people's lives at risk.

The hard-hitting message from doctors' leaders in the region comes as the first cold snap of winter brings an increase in demand for doctors' appointments, admissions to hospital, 999 calls and people walking in to casualty wards.

Doctors are pleading with people to go to A&E only if it is a serious or life-threatening situation, and to think about seeking help elsewhere rather than dialling 999.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/...anger-winter/story-25400502-detail/story.html

I felt very let down last year when I resorted to 999. I'd only called them twice in my life before, once when I broke my arm and the other time when I was diagnosed with diabetes. Last year I was pushed from pillar to post, and after telling my consultant he was aghast, saying I should have been 'red-flagged' as an emergency :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back