Well, that was embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Taking advantage of my 'old peoples' bus pass, I went out to ASDA to compare prices with the supermarkets in my local area. My eye-sight is really bad, so when I noticed [on the bottom shelf] Listerine mouth wash at only £1.50 for 500ml, I had to get down on my haunches to peer at the fine print, Everything seemed in order, so I put half a dozen bottles in my basket.

At that point, I realised I was in serious trouble..... Even with the aid of my stick and a nearby shelf, I couldn't get back up and had to wait patiently until a passing shop assistant was able to offer assistance.

In my squat, I keep an upturned plastic bucket to sit on when I have to retrieve something from a bottom shelf or otherwise do something close to the floor. It is at just the right height to allow me to efficiently use a combination of inertia, stick and my leg/thigh muscles to get up and down. Personally, I think that if supermarkets are going to put the bargains on the bottom shelf, the least they could do is put something similar nearby so that people like me can get down to examine the product wthout running the risk of getting stuck

Oh dear, I hope you aren't too embarrassed

Oh! Blooming heck! They should maybe consider intermittent grab rails or something. I guess it isn't something you consider until you get into that situation.
I can understand your embarrassment. At least it was a member of staff whom you were able to ask for help and didn't have to resort to another customer for support.

After a few hours I was able to laugh at it, but it is still a fairly serious. As the forum knows, I have lived a fairly adventurous, active life and coming to terms with my recent infirmities is an ongoing struggle. Having said that, I agree with @rebrascora the supermarkets could make more of an effort to accommodate people with mobility issues. For example, I remember a few years ago, when I had 'frozen shoulders, reaching for stuff on the upper shelves was a nightmare.

For example, I remember a few years ago, when I had 'frozen shoulders, reaching for stuff on the upper shelves was a nightmare.
Just being a short arse can have the same effect..... not that I have a short arse.... just short legs. I would easily be 6ft if I had proportionally assigned legs. 🙄 Still there are plenty of people shorter than me and maybe we should be less uptight about asking for help. The person giving help usually gets a good feeling from it and certainly from the appreciation of the person needing it, so it should be something that creates/fosters a community spirit and we shouldn't be afraid of asking for help or resent it. Easier said than done of course.

.... The person giving help usually gets a good feeling from it and certainly from the appreciation of the person needing it, so it should be something that creates/fosters a community spirit....

Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and can't quickly find the story, but the Guardian recently ran an article about a you-tuber who was going around "being nice to people" and surreptitiously filming their reactions. Apparently the reactions he received ranged from 'deeply suspicious' to 'outright hostility'.

I regularly have to ask someone with longer limbs to reach things from the top shelf - and when I check the oil in my van engine I need to stand on a box to get the bonnet down again - it is one of those lift up and push back struts and I do not have enough 'up' to make it work.

Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it and can't quickly find the story, but the Guardian recently ran an article about a you-tuber who was going around "being nice to people" and surreptitiously filming their reactions. Apparently the reactions he received ranged from 'deeply suspicious' to 'outright hostility'.
That is very different from someone being asked for help and providing it. Unsolicited help or charity from an individual particularly is not always welcome and understandably so.
That said, I distinctly remember the day a guy came up to me and gave me a rose whilst I was out shopping in Newcastle one day, even though it was nearly 40 years ago. A totally random act. The guy didn't hang about to offer any explanation or expect any response. It was just a gesture which as a self conscious young woman gave me a little and much needed confidence boost. I also remember that minutes before, that same day, a pigeon pooped on me, which was somewhat less welcome!! 🙄

I sympathise with your situation. I can't crouch and really struggle to reach the floor so picking up after the dog is really difficult, but the most embarrassing situation was when i was working and my shoe lace came undone in front of a class i was training. Someone pointed it out but because i can't bend to do shoe laces up i tried to ignore it and carry on, thinking i would sit down after the class had gone, pick the shoe up, refasten it and push my foot into it. The person was not to be thwarted however and got down in front of everybody and did up my shoe lace. It was a kind act but i couldn't help but feel embarrassed.....I now tell people in advance that i have a problem with my back so if i cant pick something up they know why i am asking them to assist me.

Just being a short arse can have the same effect..... not that I have a short arse.... just short legs. I would easily be 6ft if I had proportionally assigned legs. 🙄 Still there are plenty of people shorter than me and maybe we should be less uptight about asking for help. The person giving help usually gets a good feeling from it and certainly from the appreciation of the person needing it, so it should be something that creates/fosters a community spirit and we shouldn't be afraid of asking for help or resent it. Easier said than done of course.
Hello, I have the same problem - 5ft and shrinking - and everything I want is inevitably on the top shelf and usually at the back because normal height people have bought all the items from the front.
The crowded aisle miraculously empties until I start mountaineering up the lower shelves then someone appears and says something mildly scathing. (You only have to ask someone for help, madam). I have visions of the whole shelf unit collapsing and being buried under an avalanche of almond butter. I guess we could carry a cane to hook things with and Irvine could load a folding step stool into his trolley.
An opportunity for customer service ?

I am reminded of a story told by Richard Osman (6ft 7in). He was shopping in a supermarket when he was asked by a small lady if he wouldn't mind reaching her something from "up there". He obliged and she thanked him profusely, adding "is there anything I can get you from down here?" 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back