• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Well, I got my letter today......

Just.Brew.It

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
to say that I am now classed as 'extremely clinically vulnerable' :eek:

Not sure what to make of it really, I don't think much will change.....I'm already working from home and have been all the way through this and the only time I'm really going out is to do walks (where I very rarely come across anyone else) and to do the weekly supermarket shop. The letter advises against going to the supermarket but to be honest, I don't want to stop going.....I'm not sure I'm any more vulnerable now than I have been all this time, it's just that they have learned more about Covid since the beginning. Myself and OH are very careful.....masks, hand sanitising and washing once home & unpacked, wiping things down etc

I know the changes are because these other risk factors have been identified such as weight, age, ethnicity and poverty, but I don't need someone else to tell me I'm fat and poor.....I already know that lol

I am booked in for my first vaccine next week, which I'm nervous about, but will have to deal with that and get it done.

Notice a theme here? I'm nervous about almost everything! :rolleyes:

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That was the one I got! Good grief, I've been hither and thither shopping for family etc., who else was gonna do it? All the while being vulnerable, oh well... don't be nervous, some people don't have any trouble with the jab, me and Mum didn't. I just had a bit of a sore arm which didn't last long and Mum was fine. Good luck.

You forgot old. Old, fat and poor lol. :D In my case that is.

Just.Brew.It

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That was the one I got! Good grief, I've been hither and thither shopping for family etc., who else was gonna do it? All the while being vulnerable, oh well... don't be nervous, some people don't have any trouble with the jab, me and Mum didn't. I just had a bit of a sore arm which didn't last long and Mum was fine. Good luck.

You forgot old. Old, fat and poor lol. :D In my case that is.
Thank you!! My parents have both had their jabs and said it's nothing to worry about, I'm just a worrier!!

And I did forget old LOL :D

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm getting frustrated by it all, I've got a heart murmur and ahsma as well as newly diabetic. I was never sent a shielding letter. I phoned my docs yesterday to ask if my new diagnosis made a difference and the receptionist didn't even let me finish my sentence. She just said if I havnt had a letter I've got to weight. I think I've been missed out of the shielding letters. I'm also over weight and on benefits cos of my fibro.

Just.Brew.It

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm getting frustrated by it all, I've got a heart murmur and ahsma as well as newly diabetic. I was never sent a shielding letter. I phoned my docs yesterday to ask if my new diagnosis made a difference and the receptionist didn't even let me finish my sentence. She just said if I havnt had a letter I've got to weight. I think I've been missed out of the shielding letters. I'm also over weight and on benefits cos of my fibro.
I'm really not sure but I suspect the letters are still arriving, mine only arrived today but I know some people got theirs last week so maybe the post is a bit slower where you are? I'm pretty sure the letters are completely seperate from your GP though, I will admit I have only skim-read mine for now, but it does seem from the wording that GP's may not be aware of who is or isn't getting a letter

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm really not sure but I suspect the letters are still arriving, mine only arrived today but I know some people got theirs last week so maybe the post is a bit slower where you are? I'm pretty sure the letters are completely seperate from your GP though, I will admit I have only skim-read mine for now, but it does seem from the wording that GP's may not be aware of who is or isn't getting a letter
This happened with the original sheilding letters, last year.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not sure what to make of it really, I don't think much will change
Partha Kar has been clear that that's the right way to think of it. Nothing has changed. No risks have changed. The letters are happening now just because the NHS/government has decided to use information they've known about for months.

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
I received my shielding letter last week. But have taken the decision to carry on as I have been. I work in a supermarket and have done since the start of all this. I've had my first vaccine.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Catherine Lindsay unless your asthma has seen you admitted to hospital in the last year or you are on a steroid tablet to control it then your asthma doesn't get considered nor in priority for the vaccine xx

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I didn't have one last year either until about October when the NHS or somebody rang me one day and told me I should have cos I was CEV too - but because my husband had to shield anyway, I had been anyway up to 31st July so we've both been getting them since.

We'd already had letters/texts/emails telling us to shield up to 31st March and guess what was delivered in todays post - an NHS letter each from Matt and Robert saying exactly the same yet again.

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was really happy yesterday as I got a text in Inviting me for my jab then today I came home to a letter to shield. I’ve been at work dealing with the public since July! Ive spoken to my boss, it really upset me as I feel nothings changed in my circumstances but HR have furloughed me :(
I’ve emailed my dr for advice and they’ve said that this new calculator takes into account diabetes, BMI, postcode etc but will call me tomorrow to discuss it further.
I’ve not had a HbA1c since August 2019 which was 38 (down from 56 at diagnosis) I’ve lost almost 5 stone so I’m a few pounds off being a healthy weight and where I live in Suffolk the numbers are coming down nicely. I’m really hoping they’ll say I can go to work as work are saying I’m off unless I can get a letter saying it’s ok to be there

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was really happy yesterday as I got a text in Inviting me for my jab then today I came home to a letter to shield. I’ve been at work dealing with the public since July! Ive spoken to my boss, it really upset me as I feel nothings changed in my circumstances but HR have furloughed me :(
I’ve emailed my dr for advice and they’ve said that this new calculator takes into account diabetes, BMI, postcode etc but will call me tomorrow to discuss it further.
I’ve not had a HbA1c since August 2019 which was 38 (down from 56 at diagnosis) I’ve lost almost 5 stone so I’m a few pounds off being a healthy weight and where I live in Suffolk the numbers are coming down nicely. I’m really hoping they’ll say I can go to work as work are saying I’m off unless I can get a letter saying it’s ok to be there
Good luck.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ahhh ok thank you xx
It was only recently tightened to those circumstances as my partner would have been group 6 because of that but he's currently still in group 6 due to his epilepsy but scared they tighten that up as well :( xx

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
I'm lucky as work have left the decision up to me. My boss has been on the shielding list since the very start. He shielded in lockdown 1 but has been back since that was lifted. He said it is just guidance to shield and not compulsory.

bakebeans

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm lucky as work have left the decision up to me. My boss has been on the shielding list since the very start. He shielded in lockdown 1 but has been back since that was lifted. He said it is just guidance to shield and not compulsory.
I’m trying to argue it with work that it’s not compulsory so hope to hear more tomorrow. From what I’ve been told though unless I can get a letter from my dr saying I’m ok to work they won’t let me back

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
I’m trying to argue it with work that it’s not compulsory so hope to hear more tomorrow. From what I’ve been told though unless I can get a letter from my dr saying I’m ok to work they won’t let me back
Fingers crossed. I work in a supermarket so it's not always easy but I'd rather be at work than sitting at home.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
think i am loosing count of how many letters i have had plus emails they all get filed. what is the point i don't go any where and there is no one here now after Tee sadly departed.