Welfare changes for disabled people delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The government's welfare changes for disabled people in England, Scotland and Wales have been delayed.

People will move from Disability Living Allowance to the Personal Independence Payment next week in only certain areas instead of the whole of Great Britain.

Work and pensions minister Mike Penning said the process of reassessing people was "taking longer than expected".

Shadow work and pensions secretary Rachel Reeves said it was the "latest example of chaos" in the department.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24680366

I'm getting sick of this, my bro-in-law has a condition which causes mini-strokes - it started off aged approx. 35 with proper ones!

Funnily enough - NOT - stress makes it worse.

We visited them (they live in Skeg) in the summer, at which time he was waiting for ATOS to call him to go for his re-assessment. As when they call, you are allowed ONE HOUR to return the call otherwise they register you as not having attended and stop your benefit immediately - they didn't dare leave the house for more than an hour.

Ridiculous.

My mate at the CAB says they're overrun with folk wanting to know about the appeals process, just in case.

I'm getting sick of this, my bro-in-law has a condition which causes mini-strokes - it started off aged approx. 35 with proper ones!

We visited them (they live in Skeg) in the summer, at which time he was waiting for ATOS to call him to go for his re-assessment. As when they call, you are allowed ONE HOUR to return the call otherwise they register you as not having attended and stop your benefit immediately - they didn't dare leave the house for more than an hour.

Ridiculous.

That's disgusting 😡 :(

well ...not that they are letting it be known ..but the multi mega costing computer system brought in to cope with the changes is not working properly yet ....ummm

well ...not that they are letting it be known ..but the multi mega costing computer system brought in to cope with the changes is not working properly yet ....ummm

Doesn't surprise me. People who don't understand it usually have totally unrealistic expectations of what it can achieve, and usually impose impossible deadlines. I've worked at places where, rather than implementing working systems, the software has been set live to see what problems crop up 😱 Plus, half the software will be written and implemented, but the other half will be then worked on because it may contain elements not initially required - problem is then that you may need to revisit the 'live' half if you find things were overlooked when trying to write the remainder!

And government systems are the absolute worst because politicians believe the promises of the overpaid consulting firms 😡

Doesn't surprise me. People who don't understand it usually have totally unrealistic expectations of what it can achieve, and usually impose impossible deadlines. I've worked at places where, rather than implementing working systems, the software has been set live to see what problems crop up 😱 Plus, half the software will be written and implemented, but the other half will be then worked on because it may contain elements not initially required - problem is then that you may need to revisit the 'live' half if you find things were overlooked when trying to write the remainder!

And government systems are the absolute worst because politicians believe the promises of the overpaid consulting firms 😡

well apparently ( according to shelter in their latest training) when you apply on line ..as all folk will have to do ...there is a bloke or woman writing it down on a bit of paper ....

well apparently ( according to shelter in their latest training) when you apply on line ..as all folk will have to do ...there is a bloke or woman writing it down on a bit of paper ....

Sounds about right. And what's the betting the biro will run out before they've got everything down? 🙄

Ridiculous.

Someone has been misinformed. The t***s can try to ring you for an apt, if no answer they just put an apt in the post. Many people refuse to talk to them preferring to have a paper trail.
I had a call from them to inform me that I had to attend the interview so suggested they learnt to read what was written on the form and what my GP had written to them. They refused to budge on their position and sent me an apt regardless. So I sent it the DWP with a copy of my GP's report and suggested ever so politely what they could do with the assessment.
It was cancelled.
The t****s have no powers to stop benefits either. You are also allowed a cancelation of an apt without penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back