[weird question, but] As Diabetics, is it Safe for us to Donate a Kidney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin_98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
He/Him
Since diabetes damages the kidneys, is it a bigger risk for us to only have one? Or can it be risky for the person receiving our kidney?

My aunt has kidney failure due to Amyloidosis. Her only living blood-relative is her brother who was unfortunately not a match.
She doesn't want me to be tested because she's worried about how only having one kidney will affect my health/life-span due to health conditions I have. But we're the same blood type which significantly boosts the odds I'll be a good match.
I'm being tested next week (I haven't told her yet since she didn't want me to do it and there's no point trying to persuade her until I ate least know for sure I'm a match).

Would the donation be dangerous for either me or her? I'm also worried even if I'm a match, they won't take my kidney because of the diabetes, but I assume I'll have to TELL them i'm type 3c in case it could do her harm.

I'm afraid there's no one on the Forum qualified to tell you. You need to ask a Doctor.

I'm also worried even if I'm a match, they won't take my kidney because of the diabetes, but I assume I'll have to TELL them i'm type 3c in case it could do her harm.
I'm sure they'll want your full medical history. I doubt there's much risk from your kidney (except that it might already be damaged by nephropathy), but there's surely some risk to you since nephropathy is one of the complications of diabetes. I've no idea whether that's an absolute bar on donation. Regardless, you need to ask people who know.

I thought generally we cannot donate anything, blood, eggs etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back