weird muscle pain and hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon guys

when my sugars go down i tend to get a pain as if i have pulled a muscle in my shoulder, and then it goes through my legs and arms... its a really weird feeling, its not a pain as such just feels like my muscles have all gone weird, and then when i walk about the feeling diappears

its only happened in the last few weeks but have never experienced this before, does anyone know what im talking about or has experienced the same thing?!

Thanks in advance

xxx

I know exactly what you mean but have no idea what it is I'm afraid! I get it in my arms mainly and it goes off pretty quickly once I've treated a hypo. It's a strange feeling, almost as though you've overstretched a muscle......very difficult to explain.

yeah thats exactly it!!!! it feels so strange, but i cant seem to find the reason why it happens! im glad its not just me though phew!!

sugars are back to normal now and the feelings gone too.. how bizarre

xxx

I think (but am not entirely sure) it has to do witht he way muscles get energy. If your sugars are low, the energy is not there and the muscles feel the strain.

If you are worried, talk to the doctor or the DSN, or eben the practice nurse and see what they advise

I doubt its this but.....have you checked for ketones when you get that?

Note: Some meters such as the xceed can test for ketones as well - just different type of strip. Much better than urine testing cos it takes time for ketones to appear in the urine wheras a blood test shows whats going on now.

It's worth checking for ketones in blood when blood glucose levels are high, but they will be normal when blood glucose levels are low.

Its a bit of a shot in the dark I know, but I'm not thinking of ketoacidosis. I'm thinking of ketosis. (Theres no danger of DKA with low BG)

Two possible causes spring to mind though.
1) Because the muscles are starved of oxygen, local stores of fat or protein (or even muscle) could be being burned to produce glucose (glucogenesis). Waste products such as ketones could be causing some cramping.
2) More likely - its cramp brought on by hyperinsulemia. Because the BG is so low there's an excess of insulin, which can lead to cramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back