Weight not the only factor in developing Type 2 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As a person who comes from a family of Type 2 diabetics — none of whom is obese — I get annoyed at the constant link to obesity that discussion of this disease brings up. Yes, I know that being overweight increases your chances of developing Type 2 — previously known as “adult-onset.” But that’s not the only reason people develop this most common form of diabetes.

With diabetics, the body does not produce enough insulin, or the cells ignore the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose (blood sugar) for energy. When glucose builds up in the blood, instead of going into cells, it can cause overwhelming fatigue. Eventually, these high blood-glucose levels can damage your eyes, kidneys, nerves or heart.

I am familiar with what being overweight can do. During my second pregnancy, I developed gestational diabetes, my first sign that I could get a full-blown condition in the future. It was that extra weight that caused this condition, which disappeared once I gave birth. Diabetes.org says that having gestational diabetes increases your risk of developing the full-blown disease more than seven times the rate of those who don’t.

http://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/n...he-only-factor-in-developing-type-2-di/nfjxR/

It's one of those 'No excrement ...' moments again, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back