Weight Loss

JueB

Hi, I’m newley diagnosed 2 months ago,type 2. I am struggling somewhat with my diet . Since being diagnosed I have lost a stone in weight and really can’t afford to lose anymore, I am down to 8 1/2 stone .
My sugar levels where around mid 20s and was put on metformin, currently taking 3x a day . I was also on glyclizide 1x a day but that was reducing my sugar levels too low , down to 3, so I have come off that .
My main concern is this continual weight loss . I do eat but I’m struggling as I do not like vegetables so feel I’m very limited as what I can have. I seem to have lost my appetite especially in the evenings .
For breakfast I tend to have porridge or low sugar granola, lunch ,eggs or sandwich on brown bread , dinner time a piece of meat with small portion of potatoes and salad . I do have a banana or orange and muller light yoghurt for snacks.
Any advice would be appreciated.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The advice you’ll get from everyone here is to concentrate on reducing carbs, not just sugar. You mention a lot of foods in your post that are high in carbs. Porridge, granola, bread (whether white or brown), potatoes, bananas etc.

Read the pinned posts here about foods, testing etc. There’s a lot to learn and change but if you’re committed to making changes you’ll be fine.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@JueB If I’m remembering correctly, you had or were having tests to see if you were Type 1 not Type 2.

Have you got the results yet? I think I and others suggested the possibility of Type 1 due to your high sugars and weight loss. That’s concerning : /

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi @JueB - sorry that you're still losing weight, are you testing at home? If so, are your readings still very high, as this is likely to be the cause of weight loss and could also be contributing to your loss of appetite. Once you levels are more stable you should see the weight loss stop.
If that's not the case, has your doctor looked into any other causes of your weight loss or offered any suggestions about regaining the weight you have lost?

JueB

My readings are down from 20s to 5- 8 so much better .
I think I’ve lost weight as my diet was quite bad before , lots of sweets biscuits etc which I have completely cut out . I also probably drank around 3 bottles of wine a week , now I hardly drink 1 !!
Not having much appetite I’m only eating small meals .

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Why did you choose low fat yoghurt? And if you have bread, what do you spread on it? Do you have lovely thick mayo with your egg? Do you like tinned tuna? Ever eat nuts? What else do you drink - tea, coffee, cold drinks (whether alcoholic or not)? Do you like cheese? Have you never met a vegetable you could like?

Sorry for all the Qs, just want to get a grasp of what we might suggest that might possibly help is all. We are absolutely all different and can't possibly all like the same things!

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @JueB Could you add in some low carb treat items? There are recipes for cakes, etc, online. That might help add calories without too many carbs.

Nuts and oily fish and avocados are good too, even peanut butter. That’s tasty on raw veg like celery and carrots, for example.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear you are struggling with weight loss @JueB

The first thing I thought about was T1 / LADA, being behind the unintended weight loss, but your tests for that have not confirmed a change in classification.

Have you added fats into your lower carb eating?

Many members find that adding a sensible quantity if good fats into the diet from sources such as olive oil, dairy, nuts and seeds, oily fish and quality meats can help keep their diet sustainable, and keep their calorie intake up.

DaveB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi. Can I check that the tests you had included C-Peptide as well as GAD? Some GPs will only ask for the latter and that can give a negative result even though you have low insulin output. The C-Peptide test is more reliable.

JueB

Hi. Can I check that the tests you had included C-Peptide as well as GAD? Some GPs will only ask for the latter and that can give a negative result even though you have low insulin output. The C-Peptide test is more reliable.
Yes I’ve had both tests .

JueB

Why did you choose low fat yoghurt? And if you have bread, what do you spread on it? Do you have lovely thick mayo with your egg? Do you like tinned tuna? Ever eat nuts? What else do you drink - tea, coffee, cold drinks (whether alcoholic or not)? Do you like cheese? Have you never met a vegetable you could like?

Sorry for all the Qs, just want to get a grasp of what we might suggest that might possibly help is all. We are absolutely all different and can't possibly all like the same things!
I’m just always Have had low fat yoghurt . I am such a fussy eater , I don’t like mayo or sauces . I am going to blend some vegetables down and make soup , I think I can eat that rather than chunky vegetables . I like nuts but couldn’t eat too many of them . If I’m honest it’s the sweet stuff I’m really missing !!
I do drink tea and no sugar juices .

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So - do you have fruit yog or plain?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well you can so easily bung a bit of whatever fruit you fancy (buying them frozen means they'll smash up to the consistency usually contained in a fruit yog really easily) then mix with a dollop or three of 'thin enough' plain yoghurt of your own choice. The reason why we blench at purchased low fat yog is simply because so very many of them add carbs (other than the tiddly bit of fruit) - in order to make them palatable in the first place. NOT ideal.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I personally use the Greek yogurt on top of my bowl of fruit as if it was cream. I don't buy or use frozen fruit(berries), as they go mushy, and prefer mine fresh.