Weight loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2on

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My 60 year old partner was diagnosed type 2 in May 22, takes metformin and-we changed white carbs to whole grains and low gi.. he’s cut down alcohol but did have a pretty healthy diet. He’s lost over 2 stones. Can metformin make such a difference?

Welcome to the forum
If he had weight to lose then 1-2 lbs per week would be the amount people would expect to lose by making dietary changes, metformin would hopefully helping to reduce his blood glucose level alongside the dietary change.
He should have had a repeat HbA1C after 3-6 months to see if the changes are being effective.
If he doesn't need to lose weight then he needs to make sure he is eating enough protein and healthy fats whilst reducing carbohydrates to manage his blood glucose.

My 60 year old partner was diagnosed type 2 in May 22, takes metformin and-we changed white carbs to whole grains and low gi.. he’s cut down alcohol but did have a pretty healthy diet. He’s lost over 2 stones. Can metformin make such a difference?
Do you know what his blood sugars are like? If the weight loss was unintentional or more than the effort he put in would expect then I’d see the GP, but especially if his blood sugars are high or he has any other symptoms like drinking or peeing a lot. High blood sugars can cause weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back