Weight loss surgery in Type 1 diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm new here and trying to find out if any type 1 diabetics have had weight loss surgery and if this was done through NHS or privately?

Sorry @CarlyM I do know two people who had bariatric surgery but neither had Type 1. One had Type 2 and was morbidly obese and had it done on the NHS, the other didn’t have any type of diabetes and paid privately. They had to ‘prove themselves’ by losing a significant amount of weight prior to surgery.

Have you spoken to your GP and consultant? Personally I wouldn’t do it but I’m not obese so my opinion probably isn’t relevant.

Are you a member of Facebook? There are a few posts about it in the Type 1 Diabetes UK group, sorry I haven't read the responses but it may be worth a look xx

On diagnosis most Type Is are slim usually having lost a lot of weight. I am a lifelong Type I diabetic and was on a highish CHO allowance. However past 40 I noticed I was starting to gain weight. This lead to an increased insulin requitement and further weight gain. I therefore gradually cut my CHO down from 240gm/day to 120-130gm/day. This forms part of a Mediterranean style diet and works for me.

I only know one person who had a gastric band. She had surgery after proving she cod lose weight but after initial weight loss regained the lost weight and more. She really needed support for an eating disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back