Weight loss program questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm type2 and my wife has just been told she is pre type2 (42mmol)
She is 66 years old height 4 feet 11 inches and her BMI is 30.
She is planning to try the 8 week blood sugar and weight reduction diet by Dr Micheal Mosley.

So first question has anybody tried this course or similar and what were your expereiences/thoughts.
Second question do these types of program have any effect on blood pressure (up/or down)? She is taking amlodipine at the moment and her blood pressure levels are fine.
Lastly would you say that her BMI of 30 is too high and needs to come down and if so by how much?

I think @CBeresford is using that plan but it’s been mentioned here a number of times so there are others too.

I can’t answer the blood pressure question, but the recommended BMI is 18.5 to 24.9. The recommended weight range for a lady of 4’11 is 6st 8lb - 8st 12lb.

Hi, I'm type2 and my wife has just been told she is pre type2 (42mmol)
She is 66 years old height 4 feet 11 inches and her BMI is 30.
She is planning to try the 8 week blood sugar and weight reduction diet by Dr Micheal Mosley.

So first question has anybody tried this course or similar and what were your expereiences/thoughts.
Second question do these types of program have any effect on blood pressure (up/or down)? She is taking amlodipine at the moment and her blood pressure levels are fine.
Lastly would you say that her BMI of 30 is too high and needs to come down and if so by how much?
Actually the threshold for prediabetes for people of her age is rather higher, more like 46-47 so she has nothing to worry about, and if her health care providers don’t know that then they need re-educating.

Actually the threshold for prediabetes for people of her age is rather higher, more like 46-47 so she has nothing to worry about, and if her health care providers don’t know that then they need re-educating.
Could you tell me where I can find this information - is there a publication somewhere? I have heard about this age related question before but dont know where to look for it.

It is like all diets if it works for you it is good. Try and make it as easy as you can with foods you like. A sugar free diet is easy enough for the eight weeks unless you go out a lot. The BS I would say is fine, however its about where the weight is distributed that she is prediabetic in that range. So my opinion its do not let the diabetes take over. That is because I let it run away and it has taken over. If and it might be an if I had been good then Id not have my mess.
So yes try this first. Don't aim at the BMI score aim at lowering gradually weight and adapt new changes.
I recall one change a day at first.
So no sugar in teas and coffees for example
Cut out all cakes, biscuits etc but if you had say a biscuit in am then a sweet post lunch and a cake pm then pudding after tea cut out the biscuits first then, cut out puddings maybe adding berries or low sugar fruit or yoghurt at first.
Then aim three meals a day. Eat enough at those meals.
Exercise and drink lots of water and sugar free tea. Remember milk is sugar too so think about coffee made with milk.
A diet is a way of eating. Be kind she wants to get healthy and you need to love her unconditionally. if she goes wrong it does not define her. If she loses buy her something and praise her for doing so well.
My hubby loves to eat things I can't in front of me, even though I put them in his cupboard. Try to have most of your treats not while she is not having any. Diplomacy is the key.
Good luck

Could you tell me where I can find this information - is there a publication somewhere? I have heard about this age related question before but dont know where to look for it.
The journal BMC Endocrine Disorders, paper by Masuch et al in issue of 12 Feb 2019.

I think you've just got to be sensible at the end of the day with diets and get regular exercise. Of course you can go into minute detail. I like keeping things simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back