Weight loss jab 'could reduce heart attack risk'

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Gray

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today's research news:
"The five-year University College London (UCL) study used data from the Select trial, run by semaglutide manufacturer Novo Nordisk, to examine 17,604 adults over the age of 45 from 41 countries."

It is to be hoped that the manufacturers will be able to provide sufficient stocks to cope with the likely demand.
They do not seem to have been very successful so far...

Last edited:
No mention of diet as an alternative with no side effects?
I think you can't say "No side effects" because some people do struggle to find what suits them. For example, too much fat, for some, can lead to a deepening relationship with their lavatory.

I know I'm a pedant, but I am a persistent pedant. 🙂

This study, I guess: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JABtRJZDlFXsDAU1oedF-eDDawkCHte_/view

Press conference:

The cardio-protective effects are independent of weight-loss achieved. Some speculation that inflammation reduction is the mechanism.
I would imagine that for some, inflammation reduces because of their weightloss. Alternatively, I wonder how many non-losers they actually studied.

No, I haven't read the study, but them I have deep concerns about this approach to weightloss and diabetes management, except for a minor population. In my view, 5 years is not long enough to fully understand what is going on with these drugs.

Have to love a persistent pedant!

I would imagine that for some, inflammation reduces because of their weightloss. Alternatively, I wonder how many non-losers they actually studied.

No, I haven't read the study, but them I have deep concerns about this approach to weightloss and diabetes management, except for a minor population. In my view, 5 years is not long enough to fully understand what is going on with these drugs.
Semaglutides have been around & investigated in large-scale studies for decades.

I don't suppose you've had any Covid-19 or influenza vaccinations, then?

The drinks firm which manufactures Guinness advertised their product very many years ago with the slogan:
"I haven't tried it because I don't like it"...

I don't expect to be alive in much more than five years' time, so I'm really only concerned that any medication I take does not give me bad side effects, or too many less-bad ones.

Semaglutides have been around & investigated in large-scale studies for decades.
Oops, meant "GLP-1 RA's". Semaglutide is a type of GLP-1 RA. First was exenatide, invented in the 90's, FDA approved in 2005.

As I'm sure you know @Eddy Edson here in the UK or indeed the rest of Europe, we have never automatically accepted the things that the FDA licence for use by US patients hence it's really not really all that long since semaglutide has been in more general use here - and no sooner it was for people with Type 2 diabetes who needed to lose a lot of weight and also reduce their HbA1c cos eg. they needed an operation to sort summat else out that was also likely to be life threatening, than it went into short supply.

As I'm sure you know @Eddy Edson here in the UK or indeed the rest of Europe, we have never automatically accepted the things that the FDA licence for use by US patients hence it's really not really all that long since semaglutide has been in more general use here - and no sooner it was for people with Type 2 diabetes who needed to lose a lot of weight and also reduce their HbA1c cos eg. they needed an operation to sort summat else out that was also likely to be life threatening, than it went into short supply.
Exenatide got EU approval in 2006 (UK the same?) Semaglutide is a more effective form of these old drugs.

This partly explains why the manufacturers underestimated capacity requirements. The old drugs aren't that effective or in demand. Corporate expected that the new ones would be seen more as incremental ulgrades, rather than game changers.

I wish everyone who is offered this drug was also advised that reducing the Carbs in the diet is always a good option and with no side effects and zero cost

I wish everyone who is offered this drug was also advised that reducing the Carbs in the diet is always a good option and with no side effects and zero cost
Some people do struggle to find what works for them on low carb, and some of those so suffer unwanted impacts. See my post #5.

Vis-a vis cost; that may be cheaper for the NHS, but I have seen several reports from members that low carb works out to be more expensive for them.

To be clear, I have been a meds free, T2, eating a reduced carb diet for over 10 years, so I am certainly not agin it. I'm just a pedant, but also keen to be balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back