Weight loss,bit worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil.k

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, just wondering, when I saw the diabetes nurse she weighed me at 16 stone 8 pounds on the 8th of June this year,I expected to be losing a bit of weight because of what foods I've stopped eating,carbs etc,now today I weighed myself it was 14stone 12 pounds,has anyone else lost at lot in the space of a couple of months,thanks hope you're having a good day.

Weight loss can be quite quick when you change your diet and reduce carbohydrates as with a high carb diet thee body hangs on to fluids so the initial weight loss is often fluid. When you think that 1litre of fluid weighs 1kg then it does not need much change in bodily fluid to account for differences in weight.
However it does seem quite a lot in the time, you should probably monitor things every few days or even every day just to get a profile of your weight loss. It will probably slow down after that initial fluid loss.
Sudden weight loss can be a pointer to Type 1 but as you are losing weight by intention by reducing carbs then keeping an eye on things and speaking to your diabetes nurse if it continues to be pretty rapid.

Yes, I lost over 3 stone in 3 months after switching to a lower calorie and low carb diet.
Although it's been very stable for 6 months (In fact, gone up a little bit from 6 months ago.)

The drop was quite dramatic initially, but then slowed down.

Thank you,I forgot to mention I was diagnosed with type 2 on the 20th of May,with a hbac of 49.

Oh yes - going low carb in the past I saw about a Kg a day on Atkins Induction levels of 20gm of carb a day - I only did it once and for 3 days, during which I lost half a stone. It was after being - yet again - on a high carb diet. My metabolism eventually just broke, although it is much better now.

Thank you,I forgot to mention I was type 2,with a hbac of 49
Only on the first rung of the diabetes ladder so some modest changes should be sufficient, the weight loss will help. Hopefully your next HbA1C in about 3 months from your diagnosis will reflect that.

I bet when the nurse weighed you, it was fully dressed and after you had eaten and drunk. When you weighed at home, were you fasted and undressed? If so you were not comparing like for like. I refuse to be weighed at the surgery, as I found there was a difference of more than 7 pounds. I just monitor consistently at home to get a true indication. A stone weight loss is not uncommon in the first month, but as suggested above do keep an eye on it.

I am now at 13kg lost, since Dec 2021. Low carb and reducing portion sizes

A little update,now weight has dropped to 13 stone 10 pounds, I've been exercising a lot more even though I do a very manual job and still cutting out carbs,my latest hba1c has dropped from 49 to 40.
That looks like a good steady weight loss, how far are you from what you want /need to be. Excellent on the HbA1C result.

That looks like a good steady weight loss, how far are you from what you want /need to be. Excellent on the HbA1C result.
Thank you,not really got a target weight just happy it's dropping off,has helped with my lower back ache,I suppose around 13 stone would be amazing,but I'm going to have to buy new jeans as there starting to fall down very pleased with my hba1c number.

Thank you,not really got a target weight just happy it's dropping off,has helped with my lower back ache,I suppose around 13 stone would be amazing,but I'm going to have to buy new jeans as there starting to fall down very pleased with my hba1c number.

Amazing progress @Phil.k

Well done and great to see all your hard work paying off.

I too was a little alarmed about weight loss being 83kg or so on diagnosis, which is not huge, and losing it fairly rapidly till now nearly ten months down the line am at 65kg. Feel much better gor it though, but was concerned it wouldn't stop, asked doctor who said no cause for alarm, just monitor, the body will find its own desired weight. It has been pretty stable now so am happier, bang in the middle of the bmi range. In order to help keep it there I have upped protein intake a bit, plus fat, i.e. as per suggestions on the forum, now have lots of cream in my coffees and a bit more cheese, also reduced exercise as I am a normally active person anyway and was overdoing it. It truly is a balancing act! Fantastic HB result by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back