weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joanne.

I'm not a pumper but could it be that your control has improved a fair bit on the pump, so you're not going high and burning off fat and/or muscle ?

I found, once I gained much better control with my MDI that I started to retain a few pounds and had to restrict my calories a bit.

It's often said that insulin is a growth hormone but I think that it only plays a part during growing years but it will help to convert excess calories to fat, so in that respect is quite unforgiving.🙂

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Hope everyone is ok

Does anyone find weight gain a problem on the pump ?

Hi Joanne,
Just scrapped my previous post as have seen you are not on a pump yet 🙂
Only reason for gaining weight on a pump is eating to much 🙂 (it's easy just to push buttons).
Or perhaps when you start pumping as a few more hypos could happen whilst sorting out basal patterns.
No I didn't gain any weight at all.

Last edited:
My weight fluctuates with amount of training (which is also correlated to my average BGs).

Anyway, DSN said a lot of people actually lose a small amount of weight on the pump, because most people's daily dose of insulin actually drops a bit compared to injecting. Not sure why though :confused:

Hi Hope everyone is ok

Does anyone find weight gain a problem on the pump ?

I did, I gained 1.5 stone after going on the pump. I think my weight gain was not caused by overeating (if anything I have started eating much healthier since!) but by the fact that my control was so bad beforehand. With better control the body absorbs and uses the nutrients in food better so that is most likely why it happened. It's stabilised now and I'm very slowly but surely losing it again so all is good 🙂

Hi Joanne,
Nope - no weight gain from pumping. Pre-T1 diagnosis I was underweight and put on some much needed lbs while injecting.

No weight gain here, although it would be easy to let myself go with the ease of pumping.

Ditto - if you don't overconsume calories against your need for em, you shouldn't gain weight whether pumping or nay.

I spose you use less insulin because you only 'inject' exactly what basal you need exactly when you need it instead of - with the long acting insulins anyway - lobbing a large amount in once or twice a day and having to wangle it so it peaks when you need it to. I used to use 18/20u of Levemir whereas now my basal is under 12u per day, or less if its an exercise day.

Bolus amounts are the same for me - approx 12u per day on a 'normal'' day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back