Weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellie01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all, i have started to put weight back on now, over about 3 years i lost half of my body weight. So i have started to gain some weight but all seems to be going on my stomach, is that due to the insulin ? Have been quite bloated yesterday and a bit windy too , could that be due to the insulin too ? X

Hi all, i have started to put weight back on now, over about 3 years i lost half of my body weight. So i have started to gain some weight but all seems to be going on my stomach, is that due to the insulin ? Have been quite bloated yesterday and a bit windy too , could that be due to the insulin too ? X
I don't know but I'm glad you're putting weight on.

Thank you, so am i but dont want it just to go on my belly lol . Hope you are doing ok and taking care of yourself ? X
I'm good as can be thanks. I've got quite a bit of weight around my middle as well.

If you’re bloated that could be causing your stomach to look bigger. Even if you have put a little weight on there, it should even up, especially as you get back to a more active life once you feel well enough.

If bloating & farting continues best get checked out, in meantime things like pepermint oil can help ease discomfort.

I’ve never seen any general association between insulin and overall weight gain personally (aside from the weight I lost before Dx). When I eat more (and take more insulin) I gain weight, when I eat less (and take less insulin) I lose weight. I’m roughly the weight I was when diagnosed in my 20s. It meanders up and down a little from time to time, but using insulin hasn’t meant it always heads in one direction for me.

If you overuse injection sites with repeated use you can gradually build up scar tissue / fatty deposits (lipohypertrophy) at the sites, but this would usually take years to happen.

I’ve never seen any general association between insulin and overall weight gain personally (aside from the weight I lost before Dx). When I eat more (and take more insulin) I gain weight, when I eat less (and take less insulin) I lose weight. I’m roughly the weight I was when diagnosed in my 20s. It meanders up and down a little from time to time, but using insulin hasn’t meant it always heads in one direction for me.

If you overuse injection sites with repeated use you can gradually build up scar tissue / fatty deposits (lipohypertrophy) at the sites, but this would usually take years to happen.
Would not overuse of injection sites result in reduced insulin efficiency and then gently increasing BG? How might that translate into weight gain, rather than reduced metabolic transfer from blood to cells and net weight loss? Which presumably is broadly the explanation of noticeable weight loss when T1 displays in newbies? But I freely admit I might have misunderstood a step in the logic.

As part of my pre-DAFNE course at about my 33 month point from diagnosis and start of MDI, the lead DSN for the course checked the injection sites for each of us and determined that I had several lypohypertrophic basal sites on my upper legs, from overuse. I gave those sites a rest for 6 months, as advised. Less than a month after using different sites with better care, I found I had to reduce my Tresiba (which I'd increased about 2 months previously) - twice before regaining basal stability. Conclusion: poor use of once daily injection sites can start to affect MDI in less than 3 years.

I had not noticed what were obviously bad sites until this was pointed out to me.

Apologies if this is way off the mark (I have assumed you’re female, if you’re male, ignore this whole post) but are you menopausal, or have you recently gone through it? I say this because I developed Type 1 diabetes at the age of 51, just after I'd gone through it. I lost a lot of weight pre diagnosis, and it all went from my hips and thighs. When I regained the weight I needed to (I'd got quite thin) it all went back on my middle, and my waist is bigger now than it was before, even though my hips and thighs are still a lot smaller than they were. I think it was probably a hormonal thing, and I've just got used to being more ‘straight up and down' than ‘hour-glass' these days.

I think the main point is that insulin itself doesn't cause weight gain but it does enable the body to metabolise carbs and they can cause weight gain. I can't comment on your gaining weight round the stomach. I have the same problem which I put down to my age but there could be various causes for your weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back