Weight gain required Type 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlessd

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Not posted for a while but been popping in, to keep in touch with things.

My question is a bit the wrong way around!!

Most diabetics are wanting to lose weight, but i wanna gain it!

Type 1 diagnosis last feb/march (2009) and had lost quite a bit of weight.

Since started on insulin weight gain during the first 6 months or so, but nothing for the last 6 month.

Really wanna gain min half stone, but nowt happening! Due to good blood control and this stupid diabetes obviously cant do the normal thing and go carb crazy.

Have increased evening meal to contain about 100g (rice pasta bread etc).

Any tips guys. Would be well appreciated.

Hope your all well

Dave

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you again 🙂 I lost a lot of weight both before diagnosis (weight fell from 11.5 st to 9.5 st over the two years prior) and immediately before (fell to 8st 4). After 6 months I was 8st 10, and it's only really been after 18 months that I have finally climbed back up to 11.5 st.

I haven't done anything in particular to put on the weight, just eating normally pretty much as I've always done, so I can't really offer any tips except to say that I wouldn't worry too much about it. What's important is that you feel healthy, have good control and eat normally - the weight may eventually go back on of its own accord.

Thanks for your reply North. I know i'm being lazy not going through the site properly, but are any you guys meeting for a beer in London any time soon??? Be good to have some D conversation

Thanks for your reply North. I know i'm being lazy not going through the site properly, but are any you guys meeting for a beer in London any time soon??? Be good to have some D conversation

24th we are in leicester square for a big meet

or they is a meet this saturday at wetherspoons in guilford.

Perhaps the student diet of beer and pizza combined with being a total slob? It worked for me in the first term at university. Too well actually, I gained eight kilos.

great stuff. I'll see you there then....

Hi Dave, great be good to catch up!

Re weight gain, sorry no clue, apart drom eating and doing less, but that's not really an answer. A friend of a friend has weight issues and wants to put lots on, he's been seeing the docs and I think is trying some body building/muscle gain type drink, but not totally sure, I guess all I'm saying is if it is serious speak to the doc and hopefully he/she can help you out.
I lost maybe a stone since diagnosis and it hasn't rushed back on, I think I've got most of it back.

Anyway see you in a pub soon!

Cheers

Ross

My non diabetic husband has been underwieght most of his life and has always struggled to put weight on. He reached 55 and started to gain a little weight and was told to loose weight. Sometimes I think we just can't win with the weight thin!

My non diabetic husband has been underwieght most of his life and has always struggled to put weight on. He reached 55 and started to gain a little weight and was told to loose weight. Sometimes I think we just can't win with the weight thin!

My weight was queried at my last clinic appointment, even though I was well within BMI range - the consultant suggested reducing my portion sizes, cheeky so-and-so! I too have always been fairly skinny, although it's probably true that I could do with losing a few pounds at the moment!

Cheers all.

No not serious at all ross, just thought id throw the question out as things are different since the diagnosis ( i.e cant slob out and freeload on guiness and pie and mash!!)

Defo see you guys on 24th for a drink. looking forward to it.

Hi Dave,
I have exactly the same problem. Before Dx lost about 2.5 stone - went down to about 6.5 stone (43kgs). Found metformin kept weight off, no matter what I ate. Very quickly found I could only eat limited carbs on the tablets. This continued for 4 years until 6 weeks ago, when after weeks of eating like a bird (due to everything increasing my BG into double figures) I finally started insulin. I have put a stone on since then!!!Its gone back on evenly which makes me think I'm just replacing the weight my body ate up trying to produce energy. I'm hoping to keep it at this level, clearly if I continue I'll be as big as a house by Christmas - Lol. I dont know what toi suggest that hasnt already, but I know how you feel. It can feel like no one understands what it feels like to want to gain weight! Just to say, I hear you , mate.
G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back