Weight Gain or Control With Type 2 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger1970

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All - im currently down to 12st 10lb after losing over 40lbs. My HbA1c is at 37. My doctor wants me to keep to that weight plus or minus a couple of lbs however im finding im still losing weight.

Any suggestions on snacks etc i can eat that will stop the weight loss but not affect the HbA1c numbers etc

Hi All - im currently down to 12st 10lb after losing over 40lbs. My HbA1c is at 37. My doctor wants me to keep to that weight plus or minus a couple of lbs however im finding im still losing weight.

Any suggestions on snacks etc i can eat that will stop the weight loss but not affect the HbA1c numbers etc
Protein, meat, fish, and healthy fats. eggs, full fat yoghurt, avocados, nuts, cheese.
Brilliant on your results though.

Protein, meat, fish, and healthy fats. eggs, full fat yoghurt, avocados, nuts, cheese.
Brilliant on your results though.
Thankyou - ive been eating zero fat yoghurt to get the weight down so switching it up a bit might help. The other worry is fruit. I used to eat fruit by the truck load and ive cut it to almost nothing except berries. What fruits would people recommend to slowly add back in.

Thankyou - ive been eating zero fat yoghurt to get the weight down so switching it up a bit might help. The other worry is fruit. I used to eat fruit by the truck load and ive cut it to almost nothing except berries. What fruits would people recommend to slowly add back in.
I don't know if you are finger prick testing but that is one way of seeing what fruits and indeed what other foods you can tolerate. The highest carb fruits are bananas, mango, grapes, pineapple but things like melon, apples, oranges, Kiwi, pears, nectarines sort of middleish but they can vary quite a bit depending on variety

I snack on nuts, which are low carb but high in calories. 100g of my Sainsbury's dry roasted peanuts, for example, is just under 7g carb but a whopping 599 Kcals. Likewise my Alesto walnuts - 100g is just under 4g carb but 712 Kcals. I usually have a 30g portion as a snack, the walnuts with a few bite-size pieces of apple.

Nuts are mostly fat, but it's mostly unsaturated - the 'good' fat.

I like half a home grown green apple with a chunk of nice cheese for lunch. Smoked cheddar works particularly well for my taste. Plenty of fat and protein in the cheese and a little bit of sweetness balanced with tart in the apple which also provides crunch.
Most of the time I just have mixed summer berries with my creamy Greek style natural yoghurt for my fruit and I have real double cream in my coffee which has less carbs than milk and is an absolute luxury in my opinion. I also eat olives which are quite high in oil usually with feta or Manchego cheese and plenty of full fat cheese coleslaw on my salads or with my chilli. Full fat mayo with tuna or boiled eggs. If I am making ratatouille I add lots of lovely olive oil rather than skimping on it. Aubergines and mushrooms are both great for soaking up oil/fat when you cook them to increase calories without carbs.

I believe research has shown saturated fat in cheese in dairy (Except butter) isn't bad, as well.

I use Fage 5% fat yoghurt mixed with some berries and peanut butter (15g) and it keeps me full until the afternoon.

'child size' apples available in most supermarkets. Adult size for me!

I don't know if you are finger prick testing but that is one way of seeing what fruits and indeed what other foods you can tolerate. The highest carb fruits are bananas, mango, grapes, pineapple but things like melon, apples, oranges, Kiwi, pears, nectarines sort of middleish but they can vary quite a bit depending on variety
Im not finger pricking but thankyou for the advice on the differing fruits, its appreciated.

I snack on nuts, which are low carb but high in calories. 100g of my Sainsbury's dry roasted peanuts, for example, is just under 7g carb but a whopping 599 Kcals. Likewise my Alesto walnuts - 100g is just under 4g carb but 712 Kcals. I usually have a 30g portion as a snack, the walnuts with a few bite-size pieces of apple.

Nuts are mostly fat, but it's mostly unsaturated - the 'good' fat.
I never thought about dry roasted ones, i normally go for walnuts but might be worth trying other options for a little while and seeing what happens.

I believe research has shown saturated fat in cheese in dairy (Except butter) isn't bad, as well.

I use Fage 5% fat yoghurt mixed with some berries and peanut butter (15g) and it keeps me full until the afternoon.
Id avoided peanut butter whilst i lost the weight but might be time to add back in 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back