Weighing carbs

Quizzy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Need to weigh carbs to get started dealing with my type 2. Does anyone know where I can buy kitchen scales that don't insist on fluid ounces? I've tried Salter who have only one such digital scale and it is tiny. Haven't room for upright or balance type scale. Hate present one, it has grams and ounces somewhere, I've seen them fleetingly.

My Salter scale weighs in grams and ounces @Quizzy Most do. I use a jug for fluid ounces.

I have a sturdy Weight Watchers scale, I only use it in grams or ounces rather than the whizzy points buttons which I don't understand or, indeed, care about. But the display is good and stays on until you switch it off.

I have a cheap £5 one that I got from B&M stores about 5 years ago which works absolutely fine in grams and tares etc, not that I use it much these days as I tend to just eyeball carbs.

I use the Heston Blumenthal scales, very accurate with lots of different ranges, zeroing function is particularly useful, but a bit more expensive.

I have a Silver Crest scales that not only weighs in metric and imperial but has built-in nutrition information. Just find the item's code from the accompanying handbook, key it in, then weigh the item and it displays the carbs etc.

I bought this one from Amazon over four years ago and it is still going strong. It does have fluid ounces on it but you just press on units button to get it to read ounces if you want them or grams. I like it because it is rechargeable via a USB cable. I keep it in its box when I am not using it. The metal bowl is very handy when I am making cakes and bread.

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 22.11.08.png

I have several electronic scales for the kitchen and craft areas - they can swap between grams and ounces, and reset to zero. I do need to put larger plates on a glass bowl to be able to see the numbers on a couple of them, but they weren't expensive - a couple have required a bit of patching as rubber bits have perished, but they've lasted many years now.

Thanks everyone for contributions. It is good to know you are out there. I am not sure veryone understood that although my present scale shows oz and grams it also does fluid measures and, given the slightest opportunity, it prefers that mode. Does diabetes make one crotchety? I've threatened it many a time! so I need one that doesn't have any facility for measuring liquid, and it has to be digital so I can file it alongside the cookery books. Thanks for tip about putting large plates on a bowl to make the reading visible, why didn't I think of that!

Mine only ever reads in grams when I switch it on but it does have the option for imperial if I wanted that function and could be bothered to find out how to change it. Just got it out and it was actually £5.99 according to the box. I tend to use my proper brass scales for imperial if I am baking but this digital one was a special purchase for my diabetes. It is labeled as "Home Kitchen Collection" and I am pretty sure it came from B&M stores.

This is the one I got from Amazon it measures in grams, ml, pounds and ounces. I keep a clear glass bowl on the worktop. It does the job perfectly.

Salter 1036 BKSSDR Electronic Kitchen Scale – Digital Baking Scale with 5kg Capacity, Food Weighing Scale with Stainless Steel Disc Platform, LCD Display, Add & Weigh/Tare Function, Measure Liquids​

My Salter scale weighs in grams and ounces @Quizzy Most do. I use a jug for fluid ounces.
I would like to thank all contributors. I think my digital scale has been influenced by politicians. It gives the anwers it prefers (ie fluid measures) rather than the solids measures ie oz and gr. that I want! That's why I want one that has no capacity for even thinking about fluid measures. Salter no longer make a suitable flat scale. If only I had the room for a sit up type, I'd buy it. thanks once again.

This is the one I got from Amazon it measures in grams, ml, pounds and ounces. I keep a clear glass bowl on the worktop. It does the job perfectly.

Salter 1036 BKSSDR Electronic Kitchen Scale – Digital Baking Scale with 5kg Capacity, Food Weighing Scale with Stainless Steel Disc Platform, LCD Display, Add & Weigh/Tare Function, Measure Liquids​

Yes I see them advertised on Amazon, though Salter did not list it when I asked, so may no longer be manufactured. I'll try amazon. thanks.

Back