Wegovy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lih

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is wegovy/saxenda suitable for type 1 diabetics?Has anyone with type 1 used it?

Presumably you thinking of these drugs from a weight loss point of view rather than diabetes treatment? They will certainly not treat Type 1. You need insulin for that. If you are thinking about using them for weight loss, there is a worldwide shortage at the moment and I don't believe the NHS are able to prescribe it to new patients due to that even if you fit the strict criteria. In fact people who were on it to manage their Type 2 diabetes have had difficulty filling their prescriptions and have had to be moved to other meds because it is not available.
There are also some horror news stories about desperate people buying it online and it being insulin rather than the drug it is supposed to be and ending up almost killing themselves, because what they bought was black market and counterfeit.

Presumably you thinking of these drugs from a weight loss point of view rather than diabetes treatment? They will certainly not treat Type 1. You need insulin for that. If you are thinking about using them for weight loss, there is a worldwide shortage at the moment and I don't believe the NHS are able to prescribe it to new patients due to that even if you fit the strict criteria. In fact people who were on it to manage their Type 2 diabetes have had difficulty filling their prescriptions and have had to be moved to other meds because it is not available.
There are also some horror news stories about desperate people buying it online and it being insulin rather than the drug it is supposed to be and ending up almost killing themselves, because what they bought was black market and counterfeit.
Yes I'm wanting it for weight loss.I will mention it to my doctor as I know that there are different medicines to inject.I would never buy online. I just want to know if anyone has tried it as I'm not sure if type 1 diabetics can use it. Thanks.

I don’t know if you’ll get it prescribed @Lih but there have been a number of studies on its use in Type 1, eg:

Personally, I wouldn’t touch it but would concentrate on normal weight loss methods. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Do you have any insulin resistance?

I don’t know if you’ll get it prescribed @Lih but there have been a number of studies on its use in Type 1, eg:

Personally, I wouldn’t touch it but would concentrate on normal weight loss methods. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? Do you have any insulin resistance?
Yes to both.I have zero willpower and difficulty due to a brain injury. Was just hoping that it could help me a little. I am obese with a very high bmi.I think I will talk to my doctor about any help although I've never been offered help before. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back