Week 8 Newcastle Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhtyler

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's been 8 weeks since I started the Newcastle protocol to reverse my T2D. I should be finishing and returning to a normal caloric intake, however, at week 4 I had to deviate. I'd lost 18 Lbs, so I was right on schedule, but my health had deteriorated. Why? I still don't know with certainty. I'm nearly 70 and have to acknowledge that my tolerance for any change isn't what it used to be. It may be that my choice of meal replacements didn't meet the standards set in the British study for complete nutrition. Whatever the case, I found myself weak as a kitten and had to increase my calories above 700. At first, I tried to increase calories incrementally, but that didn't work. I went back to eating to satiety for 2 weeks, although I did continue eating as low carb as I could manage. I gained back 4 Lbs quickly, and my numbers spiked a bit. I decided to go back on the diet, but at DOUBLE the caloric intake (1500-1600), while keeping my carbs to the same level (in the 50s) as Newcastle prescribed. It worked. I have my old energy back. I've started losing weight again, although at a reduced pace. I'm now down just over 19 pounds from my start which was on January 16. I'm hoping to continue at a pace of 1.5 to 2 Lbs a week. I'm a slow horse you might say. That will put me at my goal by the end of May. I've taken one other deviation from Prof Taylor's recommendations. I've increased my walking substantially. The Prof says not to do this because it engenders hunger and makes the diet more difficult. I feel that at double the calories, the calculus may be different, so I'm doing a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. It feels good. We'll see.

Observations:
I've only managed half my required weight loss, so I have no clue as to whether my pancreas is recovering or not. My guess is not, although in Prof Taylor's study, the pancreas was the last to wake up when the 33 Lb mark was met, so who knows? I proved to my satisfaction that I could handle carbs well into the 50s and have normal glucose without exercise, and that is true at double the calories. Does my walking allow more carbs? Not much I think. I believe the exercise is simply putting me in a lower category of normal readings and if I go much over 60 carbs in a day my meter will say nay. I meal plan, and carefully monitor calories, carbs, and protein. I doubt I'll be able to ever keep my weight down and remain non-diabetic without careful monitoring.

I've observed in the past that since my initial weight loss I'm now able to walk in the morning and reduce my glucose number. That didn't use to be the case. Another more recent observation. I backload most of my 50-plus carbs. What I mean is that I don't eat until noon, and when I do, my first meal (I only eat 2 meals) is lower in carbs. I try and keep it around 10-15 because I don't handle carbs as well earlier in the day. I think this is quite usual for most T2D's. What that means is that I'm having 35 carbs or more for my evening meal. Oddly, I'm seeing no spike even though nearly all my walking is completed before dinner. I keep expecting a monster spike and it doesn't happen. Best guess: Insulin sensitivity increases towards evening, and my walking is enhancing that effect. BTW, I quit eating by 6 pm, so I'm getting an 18-hour fast daily. Since I only eat in a 6-hour window, I don't worry about time in between meals. I eat until satiety, or until my meal plan is done...hopefully both. So, I'll quit here since it's a terrible death to be talked to death. I soldier on.

Slow weight loss isn't a bad thing @mhtyler, the important thing is to be able to sustain your new diet and way of life, and to tailor it to what works for you. Sounds like you've got a good handle what works for you. Onwards and upwards 🙂

Glad you found a successful workaround to get your energy levels back up @mhtyler

Hope your weight loss continues steadily towards your target. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back