Weeing in the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyB61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I find recently I am going to the toilet a lot more throughout the night I can go 5-6 times does anyone else have this problem?

How are your blood sugars when you are getting up for the toilet? Do you have any other symptoms?

One of the causes of frequent loo visits is high blood glucose as it is your kidneys working hard to get rid of the excess in your system. So wise to test to see.
Sometimes if I have eaten certain foods which can have a diuretic effect like celery, fennel, I can be up and down to the loo. Some people have that with too much caffeine.

I don’t test when I get up to go to the toilet, maybe I should?

You definitely should! I remember you had problems with frequent urination and thirst before. Test and see what’s happening overnight.

Use to have this before I was diagnosed, would get up 2-3 times a night but now I'm on the meds and getting things under control I've been ok.

Once your BG levels start edging up near 10 or more the kidneys can start to flush out excess glucose by making you wee more frequently.

Definitely worth checking your levels to see if that might be the case for you

I do but was told it's a side effect of my medication - Canagliflozin. Sometimes 2/3 but last night every hour on the hour. I know my glucose levels are falling - last HbA1c was 59.

I do but was told it's a side effect of my medication - Canagliflozin. Sometimes 2/3 but last night every hour on the hour. I know my glucose levels are falling - last HbA1c was 59.
I've just been prescribed empagliflozin as I've just had my bloods taken recently and glucose was up, hopefully won't have same side effects.

I've just been prescribed empagliflozin as I've just had my bloods taken recently and glucose was up, hopefully won't have same side effects.
That class of medication works by encouraging the kidneys to excrete excess glucose in your urine and the recommendation is that you need to drink plenty, 3 litres per day. Of course, the consequence of that is more loo visits.

That class of medication works by encouraging the kidneys to excrete excess glucose in your urine and the recommendation is that you need to drink plenty, 3 litres per day. Of course, the consequence of that is more loo visits.
That explains in then 🙂 I usually drink a fair amount of fluids daily, I've noticed a good drop in glucose levels since I've started taking it, changes in diet will have helped as well

Following on from the OP, I perhaps get up a couple of times a night if I'm unlucky, my problem arises during the daylight hours as I almost always feel I must use the toilet, but when I go the amount I do is hardly worth the visit!! couldn't fill an eggcup at times. Any comments?

Following on from the OP, I perhaps get up a couple of times a night if I'm unlucky, my problem arises during the daylight hours as I almost always feel I must use the toilet, but when I go the amount I do is hardly worth the visit!! couldn't fill an eggcup at times. Any comments?
Prostate been checked recently? Have you considered Overactive Bladder Syndrome?

I usually call it my psychological wee. It comes from habit rather than necessity.
If recent it could be a urinary tract infection.

You need to discuss this with your GP and get checked out. Your body is telling you that there is a problem and in this case almost certainly not diabetes related..

I find recently I am going to the toilet a lot more throughout the night I can go 5-6 times does anyone else have this problem?
if your up 5-6 times a night my immediate thought is what’s your BS levels
and have you spoken to your GP / HCP

N
if your up 5-6 times a night my immediate thought is what’s your BS levels
and have you spoken to your GP / HCP
Not spoken to my GP yet , I do my finger prick tests before and 2 hours after meals and they are fine, I’m going to do one before going to bed and when I get up and see what they are like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back