Wedding Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DollyDaydream

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone managed to find a company that offers wedding insurance that covers pre-existing medical conditions including diabetes? Having a bit of a nightmare as lots of companies aren't offering new policies at all (even though we are planning for 2022) and the ones that do don't offer cover for pre-existing medical conditions. The only reason we would need to cancel (aside from Covid, which a new policy wouldn't cover anyway) is if I was in hospital.

I suspect it is most probably be like other Insurances that tend to exclude pre existing conditions.

Have you ever had to stay in hospital because of your diabetes @DollyDaydream ?

Would a piece of tech like a CGM with alarms (eg Dexcom) for the months around your wedding provide protection? The 3 month Dexcom starter pack is about £150

Have you ever had to stay in hospital because of your diabetes @DollyDaydream ?

Would a piece of tech like a CGM with alarms (eg Dexcom) for the months around your wedding provide protection? The 3 month Dexcom starter pack is about £150
Previously I have had many hospital admissions (hundreds over a 15 year period) due to having a rare and complex form of diabetes (Brittle) and antibodies to insulin. I received a pancreas transplant which has since failed. This year, I have only had one diabetes-related hospital admission. My control is much better now I am using the Medtronic 640G with the Guardian Sensors but I am very nervous about not having insurance.

Antibodies to insulin must be very difficult for you - do you have to use particular types? or older animal versions?

Good that you have access to sensor augmented pump therapy. Have your clinic been able to offer any advice or suggestions around your plans? Is it usually high BG (DKA) or severe hypoglycaemia that out you in hospital?

It seems most insurers shy away from covering those. You might want to try specialized insurance brokers who deal with medical conditions—they can sometimes offer better deals and more understanding policies. Also, try looking into ways to insure your stuff for less by bundling policies or finding insurers who offer discounts for various safety measures. Hope you find a good solution and have a beautiful wedding!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back