We should praise NHS staff and insist they are given resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I AM approaching 50 years of unbroken public service, the most rewarding of which were six years as chairman of NHS Ayrshire and Arran.

It was a privilege to work with such caring and committed staff. Subsequent experience as a patient reaffirmed my high regard for them, their skill and compassion.

Corporately, NHS personnel are possibly the most highly qualified workforce in Scotland. They are also the most regulated by, for example, their various Royal Colleges and the General Medical Council and are scrutinised by such as NHS Health Improvement Scotland, NHS boards and frequently the media, as your own campaign confirms. While, however, I see some merit in the proposed merging of NHS Health Improvement and the Care Inspectorate, given the latter's success in improving social care standards, inspection and regulation is but one issue. Indeed a resultant more rigorous inspection and complaints system could be counter-productive if it feeds the apparently increasing appetite of disgruntled patients to sue for alleged malpractice as often encouraged by some solicitors. Compensation for one is invariably a loss of service for many; it all comes out of the NHS budget.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comme...-and-insist-they-are-given-resources.21693772

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back