We must fight government plans to privatise the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Tories truly believe that the market does things better, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Imagine you are feeling a bit groggy, maybe a bit fed up with life. You go to your doctor. Or telephone them, or Skype them, or whatever hoop it is now necessary to jump through. You explain your symptoms – the headaches, the insomnia, the reluctance to get out of bed in the morning. The doctor looks increasingly grave. They add in some questions of their own. Yes, you have lost your appetite, and yes, you have rather given up taking any exercise. Suddenly, the doctor brightens. "I think I have the answer!" they exclaim. "You are depressed. But I can make you better at once! Full of energy, positive, back to the party person you used to be. We will amputate your left leg!"

This is roughly the logic of the government's determination to privatise the NHS. It doesn't have enough money, therefore it should be given less. It is a type of political manoeuvre that the Tories (and sometimes Labour too) have been practising for a while – an ideological sleight of hand that is worth deconstructing this bright July morning, the day that it is revealed that the first £1bn NHS contracts are going out to tender to the private sector.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/03/privatise-nhs-government-plans-fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back