We have the technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow to technology! It actually made me cry as I can now see my glucose levels on my wrist as I’ve managed to set up my Libre 2 readings on my watch. I’m self funding Libre as I can see the information on my phone & now on my watch more clearly than on my pump screen. I'm partially sighted and struggle to see my pump screen details, I’m funded for Medtronic sensors with my pump as I don’t have hypo awareness and rely on it to suspend insulin delivery for me as I’m oblivious to low blood sugar but it doesn't connect to my phone so I can't change the size/contrast of the text and numbers.

What amazing developments since my diagnosis in 1978. I can clearly remember when I was diagnosed being given a grey plastic case with a glass test tube, pipette & Clinitest reagent tablets to test my urine for glucose pre home blood glucose testing. I used to write my results in a diary with zero glucose on a good day up to I think ++++ depending on the amount of glucose present. I was on 1 fixed injection of mixed insulin per day, set amounts of carbs at set times, no correction insulin and I really struggled with the rigid routine and lack of knowledge about diabetes. I was told the usual "don't worry, there’ll be a cure in 10 years" and I suppose it gave me some hope but I was thinking what if I'd been told "don't worry, in 44 years time you'll be reading your glucose levels off a watch" I had a Mickey Mouse wind up watch back then and seeing anything other than the time would have been unimaginable.

The speed of tech development is amazing. Diabetes is still diabetes, the same relentless, frustrating, monotonous and sometimes devastating condition but right now I’m over the moon with being able to see my glucose levels on my wrist :D

IMG_0524.JPG

Last edited:
Wow so pleased for you Flower, that's a game changer for you I'm sure.

That's brilliant!!!
tech can be great :D
Now if they could invent a smart watch that I'm not allergic to....that would be fab :rofl:

I agree @Flower - the advances in tech are amazing. It blows my mind watching a new Pod “communicating” with my Omnipod PDM. I’m a new hybrid human (with hearing aids too LOL) and have never felt more comfortable in my diabetic skin.

I agree @Flower - the advances in tech are amazing. It blows my mind watching a new Pod “communicating” with my Omnipod PDM. I’m a new hybrid human (with hearing aids too LOL) and have never felt more comfortable in my diabetic skin.
That’s so good to read @Bloden 🙂 How’s it going with the Omnipod?

New hybrid human? I like it! :D

That’s so good to read @Bloden 🙂 How’s it going with the Omnipod?

It’s going really well, thanks. Having Covid the second week in was a bit of a curve ball, but my DSN Amanda is absolutely fantastic - very calm, matter of fact and experienced. We’re just getting going on the basal testing and tweaking. I feel very lucky.

I had a red Mickey Mouse watch for ages and was always dead jeal of those with the larger yellow ones with Tweety Pie hopping round counting the seconds, cos I had to buy mine myself when we were mortgaged beyond the eyeballs and therefore skint, so couldn't afford the dearer one with the second hand.

Memories are made of this indeed. I really loved the sweet little wooden test tube stand with my pee testing kit, it was so beautifully made with not a hint of a splinter anywhere - and the extra little hole for the pipette.

Wow to technology! It actually made me cry as I can now see my glucose levels on my wrist as I’ve managed to set up my Libre 2 readings on my watch. I’m self funding Libre as I can see the information on my phone & now on my watch more clearly than on my pump screen. I'm partially sighted and struggle to see my pump screen details, I’m funded for Medtronic sensors with my pump as I don’t have hypo awareness and rely on it to suspend insulin delivery for me as I’m oblivious to low blood sugar but it doesn't connect to my phone so I can't change the size/contrast of the text and numbers.

What amazing developments since my diagnosis in 1978. I can clearly remember when I was diagnosed being given a grey plastic case with a glass test tube, pipette & Clinitest reagent tablets to test my urine for glucose pre home blood glucose testing. I used to write my results in a diary with zero glucose on a good day up to I think ++++ depending on the amount of glucose present. I was on 1 fixed injection of mixed insulin per day, set amounts of carbs at set times, no correction insulin and I really struggled with the rigid routine and lack of knowledge about diabetes. I was told the usual "don't worry, there’ll be a cure in 10 years" and I suppose it gave me some hope but I was thinking what if I'd been told "don't worry, in 44 years time you'll be reading your glucose levels off a watch" I had a Mickey Mouse wind up watch back then and seeing anything other than the time would have been unimaginable.

The speed of tech development is amazing. Diabetes is still diabetes, the same relentless, frustrating, monotonous and sometimes devastating condition but right now I’m over the moon with being able to see my glucose levels on my wrist :D

View attachment 21474
Good evening, can I ask how you did that, i would love to get my readings on my Apple Watch. thanks.

Fantastic flower so pleased for you.

Agree that tech now is amazing, truly is just wish it was around decades before, who knows what future holds surely things will only get better.

Such good news @Flower . Tech is fabulous.

Great that your pump is going well @Bloden and that you have such good support.

That technology is brilliant @Flower. I'm so pleased for you x

Good evening, can I ask how you did that, i would love to get my readings on my Apple Watch. thanks.
Hi @Paul Goldie , I'm using an app called Shuggah, there are other ways to do it. Downloaded it to phone and followed the instructions & allowed permissions, I was worried I wouldn't be able to scan with the Libre app but it's still working. Getting it on to the phone doesn't make it appear on the watch so I had another look for what to do and there are some videos on the web if you type in how to see Libre 2 on a watch. I had to use the calendar complication on my watch face, choose a modular watch face and then go in to the settings in the Shuggah app and select create Calendar event and turn all the tabs on in the calendar settings. I'm not techy but I got it to work relatively easily by following a video on the web.

If anyone knows a better way to get a display on the watch face without having to use the calendar complication please let me know! 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back