We’re hosting a footcare Q&A – got questions for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetes UK

Know Diabetes. Fight Diabetes
Staff member
Next week we’re hosting a Facebook Live Q&A video! And the subject is all things feet!

We really want to know any questions you guys have about feet or footcare – anything you’ve always wanted to ask but never had the chance.

We’ll then try and answer as many of your questions as possible in our Q&A with Diabetes UK’s Head of Care.

You can catch the video live on Facebook on 28th September at 12:30pm.
Hope to see you there :D

https://www.facebook.com/diabetesuk/

My feet have a burning sensation, my little toes and the side of my feet, shine bright red, on the Diabetes Ward they gave me "DIPROBASE" When I got home I bought some "DIPROBASE Cream Emollient 500g"
from e-bay 24 hours Chemist, delivered promptly to my door for total sum of £13.99. I was diagnosed Type 2 in early August 2017, and was told to check my feet. I asked a nurse at the clinic, what are we checking for, she show me a poster of a badly infected foot. Because I went along time with unmonitored Diabetes, and my body got use to High Blood Sugars and now my Blood Sugars are lowered, could this be the cause of my "HOT FEET" or is it part of the Diabetes???? Cheers clive555555

I get these clear fluid filled spots on my feet and then they burst and starts the skin pealing off my feet then it gets raw then it eventually heals up wondered what that could be ?

What thing should my health team be looking at and testing when I have a foot examination and what warning signs should I be looking out for. Who should be cutting my toenails at what point do I start using a podiatrist.

Have you actually showed your tootsies to your doctor (not nurse) - cos blisters like that are just not normal for anyone D or not, as far as I know?

Have you got mega sweaty feet or prone to eg athlete's foot?

Not sweaty at all they are dry all the time ware new socks every day shower and clean my feet at least once a day and I do moisturise them when they are dry and cracked

Every year my consultant points out the callouses on the balls of my feet. Doesn't everyone have these? Why does he seem to think they are a problem? All he has said is that dry skin gets cracked leading to infection, but I have had no problems of this sort. I think I have them because I walk a lot.
I did have them filed away a few years ago when I was having treatment for a verruca, and for a few weeks it was quite sensitive walking until the callouses grew back! Are they really a bad thing and if so what should I do?

Is plantar fasciitis more common in type 1's or is that a myth? some people seem to say it is and others say otherwise. All i know is my heels are killing me lol

I get these clear fluid filled spots on my feet and then they burst and starts the skin pealing off my feet then it gets raw then it eventually heals up wondered what that could be ?
That sounds like Dyshidrotic eczema, i get it on the palms of my hands, they can be quite itchy too, doc gives me a steroid eczema cream to use and it clears them up, could be wrong though

As a carer for a type 2 diabetic, what am I looking for in foot health / foot problems
What questions to ask to ascertain/quantify the symptoms (but Dr asks on the phone, but better to be prepared!)
feet are often cold - is this due to circulation? and/or elderly - thin blood/anticoagulants/other known conditions or diabetes or both?
There is sometimes tingling and burning in feet or toes - what is this?
swollen ankles/feet - is it always urine infection or anything else?
how to spot cellulitis early (prevention always but it happened twice)

Thank you very much for this.

What footcare regime would you recommend for a person with diabetes doing a mountain marathon / ultra marathon?
If the answer doesn't include explanation of dry socks, plastic bags for feet etc, then can I suggest you ask someone who does mountain marathons / ultra marathons with T1D - like me or at least four friends. Some of us have provided foot care for competitors, too.
Don't let anyone tell you that well controlled diabetes should stop your aims!

I am concerned about the swelling of foots (and sometimes hands). In some cases isn't diabetes related like wh the climate is hot or when one get an infection and gets antibiotics. In other cases is diabetes related. What are the warning signs to watch in case of foot swelling?

Well atleast i now know now it's not another thing linked to diabetes, it seems as soon as you say you have diabetes, that becomes the cause, or you are more prone to ...xyz.. because of it. It's just my marching about everywhere that has done it instead! and exercise is supposed to be good for you! i'm off out to get a better pair of trainers haha 😉

Hello all - as promised, our Head of Care, Dan has kindly responded to all of the questions that you asked, which we were unable to answer during the Facebook Live video.
So - apologies in advance for the bombardment of posts, but here are the answers to your questions.....

My feet have a burning sensation, my little toes and the side of my feet, shine bright red, on the Diabetes Ward they gave me "DIPROBASE" When I got home I bought some "DIPROBASE Cream Emollient 500g"
from e-bay 24 hours Chemist, delivered promptly to my door for total sum of £13.99. I was diagnosed Type 2 in early August 2017, and was told to check my feet. I asked a nurse at the clinic, what are we checking for, she show me a poster of a badly infected foot. Because I went along time with unmonitored Diabetes, and my body got use to High Blood Sugars and now my Blood Sugars are lowered, could this be the cause of my "HOT FEET" or is it part of the Diabetes???? Cheers clive555555

"Good question! It’s difficult to know whether the burning sensation and your shiny bright red toes are caused by your diabetes or not. The fact that you’ve picked up that you have a burning sensation in your feet is really good. We’d suggest speaking to your GP and get them to assess your feet, they can use some different instruments and tools to see if these issues are diabetes-related or not. Having high blood sugars for a long period of time can increase your risk of this kind of complication so they will take this into account. But well done for bringing your blood sugars down to a normal target, keep up the good work!" Dan, Head of Care, Diabetes UK

"Hmmmm! This sounds like it could be a number of things, but it isn’t a classic symptom of diabetes foot complications. However it sounds like a potential dermatology issue (skin problem) such as dermatitis of a type of eczema. It needs looking at by the GP, and regardless, keeping your blood sugar in target will certainly help." Dan, Head of Care, Diabetes UK

What thing should my health team be looking at and testing when I have a foot examination and what warning signs should I be looking out for. Who should be cutting my toenails at what point do I start using a podiatrist.

"Interesting question. If you have a loss of sensation in your toes then somebody else should probably cut your toenails for you. The problem is if you were to slip and cut your toe, you may not notice it. So that’s when you should have another person cut their toenails for you. If you have full sensation in your toes then you can carry on cutting your toenails yourself. Self-care is really important, and the first step is getting to know your feet. That way if you spot anything different from one day to the next you can get it checked out. See what happens at a foot examination by a health professional here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t.../taking-care-of-your-feet/touch-the-toes-test" Dan, Head of Care, Diabetes UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back