Watchful waiting reasonable for patients with diabetic macular edema and good vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People with good vision despite having center-involved diabetic macular edema can safely forego immediate treatment of their eye condition as long as they are closely monitored, and treatment begins promptly if vision worsens, according to clinical trial results. The findings are published online today in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The study was conducted by the DRCR Retina Network a multicenter clinical research network funded by the National Eye Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Diabetic macular edema is the most common cause of vision loss among people with diabetic eye disease in the United States. Diabetes can result in the development of leaky blood vessels in the retina -- the light-sensing tissue at the back of eye. Diabetic macular edema is the result of fluid build-up in the central area of the retina, called the macula, which is important for sharp vision. Swelling of the macula can distort vision required for reading and driving.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190430091828.htm

My macular oedema has been closely monitored for nearly 5 years now, without treatment. I have a slight 'kink' in the Amsler grid, but it doesn't really affect my sight, and is only in my left eye. I am very grateful that the NHS has taken such great care over my eyesight 🙂

I am glad you are getting such good care too @Northerner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back