Watchdog ranks GP surgeries by risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark T

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Health watchdog the Care Quality Commission (CQC) has ranked almost every GP surgery in England in terms of risk of providing poor care.

The majority are of low concern, but 11% have been rated in the highest risk band by CQC.

Many of the elevated-risk practices had possible issues with appointments, mental health plans, and cervical cancer screening.

The CQC register will help target inspections.

The watchdog said the register did not necessarily indicate poor GP surgery performance.

"It is important to remember that the data is not a judgement, as it is only when we inspect we can determine if a practice provides safe, high-quality and compassionate care," said CQC chief inspector of general practice Prof Steve Field.

"The data is a further tool that will help us to decide where to inspect and when," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30094255

The actual CQC website to locate your local surgery can be found here: http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/our-intelligent-monitoring-gp-practices

Interesting!

3 risk areas for mine and 2 of them relate to the scores they got in the Patient Survey.

What Patient Survey is that then?

Perhaps you have to go to reception for that, but since I book online, and you can check in when you arrive on a touch screen, that's what I do rather than stand in a queue for reception!

Who can I ask? one of the people you can only ring between the hours of whatever and sometime, on certain days of the week, or what?

Don't have a Patient Panel so can't raise it with them. Or maybe they do - how would I know?

They did hold a meeting once about 2 or 3 years ago. We found a letter about it when we got back from holidays, it was while we were away. So I asked reception what it was all about and what they decided and what was gonna happen, and they didn't know because they weren't allowed to go. I said Hang on - you are the first people anyone sees when they get here - and who we all have to speak to on the phone - the Public Face of the whole Practice!

So they said they would tell whoever it was because they were sposed to be producing a letter which was coming out 'soon' so I decided to wait for that, it might answer my questions.

Still waiting ........

5 risk areas for mine, 1 is diabetes care and the others are emergency admissions and patient survey results all in the "caring" section. Seems about right to me, never experienced such a disengaged bunch. Not entirely sure how they got high risk for diabetes foot care since it's done centrally, unless of course they're just not adding people to the list. On the plus side they're super keenos on diagnosing dementia so at least they've got that right.

Oh yes, they got top marks for dementia at mine too.

Interestingly mine is Risk Level 1 due to 4 risks, 2 of which are enhanced risk.

It seems they fall down of getting people below recommended cholesterol targets, but also on patient confidentiality as sitting in the waiting room you can overhear the reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back