Waste of time physio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Went for my first physio appt today following my stroke. What a total waste of time! She didn't introduce herself or anything,just started loads of questions "when were you admitted?" "when were you discharged?" I said to her, "hang on I will have to look up the exact dates, with all that's happened I can't remember"
"Why what's happened," she said!!! So I told her "I've had a stroke" "Well it hasn't been confirmed" she replied, CHEEKY COW!!!! So I told her I've had an MRI and it had shown not a TIA but a stroke, "Oh who told you that then, your GP?" NO!!!!!!!!! the consultant! I was getting so pissed off with her. She went on with her questions "So what do you hope to get from this appt?" I told her advice to further improve the use in my hand and help for my shoulder which is really painful. "So you don't get dizzy then?" Er yes, I do. "Any other problems?" "Well I keep bumping into things like door frames and this makes me nervous going out on my own" So she said "Well is your eyesight ok?!" I felt like shouting at her , it's not that I don't see the ******doorframe but that my brain is injured and misjudges things.

She wasn't giving me any positive feedback at all. She made me push against her and all the usual things and then said "Well you're not very strong, do you do any exercise?" I felt like screaming, I've been ill for 7 weeks, hardly got out much, been doing my best and you think I should be exercising!!!

Her recommendations? Get an exercise bike, don't worry about hand, it will improve eventually, do a few exercises for shoulder - oh and I don't need to see her again unless I want to!!! I think not!

I asked her about a grab rail for in the shower and she said "Oh I don't know if I could sort that out, best ask GP to refer you to occupational health/therapist." Yeah right, I'm going to ring the local rep from the stroke association tomorrow and ask if they can get things speeded up.

She obviously had no idea how a stroke makes you feel. Useless, totally useless. Sorry to rant but I'm just cross.

What a waste of space she sounds flutter, id be half tempted to complain and see some one else its not really the first impression you were hoping for, for something so traumatic and sensitive as a stroke she sounds like she needs to have abit more tact.Fancty giving you no positivity or any real helpful advice.Hugs xxx

Oh sorry you had such a rough time. Physio must have been off the day bedside manner was covered. Sometimes though they have questionnaires that they have to fill in - like when you go from A&E to a ward and you get asked everything you have already answered.

Have you thought of buying a stress ball and squeezing it - not just for the stress relief but to try and build strength in the hand. When my FIL was in ICU for 2 months he woke up and had lost all his muscles - he was so determined and would sit for hours with the stress ball - he would also try and walk a lot further with the zimmer than suggested - he would try whenever he had the opportunity and as a result improved a lot faster.

There are two sets of occ/health therapists I think - one attached to the hospital and another with social services. The first normally assess whether you are able to cope at home and look at adjustments before sending you out and the others look to see what improvements can be made once you are home - at least that is how it seemed to work for FIL.

Hope the stroke association can help you.

What a waste of space she sounds flutter, id be half tempted to complain and see some one else its not really the first impression you were hoping for, for something so traumatic and sensitive as a stroke she sounds like she needs to have abit more tact.Fancty giving you no positivity or any real helpful advice.Hugs xxx

I am certainly tempted Steffie, she didn't come over well at all. What makes me mad is that I still said "thank you" as I left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

You should definitely complain Flutter, that was a disgraceful way for her to behave.

Oh sorry you had such a rough time. Physio must have been off the day bedside manner was covered. Sometimes though they have questionnaires that they have to fill in - like when you go from A&E to a ward and you get asked everything you have already answered.

Have you thought of buying a stress ball and squeezing it - not just for the stress relief but to try and build strength in the hand. When my FIL was in ICU for 2 months he woke up and had lost all his muscles - he was so determined and would sit for hours with the stress ball - he would also try and walk a lot further with the zimmer than suggested - he would try whenever he had the opportunity and as a result improved a lot faster.

There are two sets of occ/health therapists I think - one attached to the hospital and another with social services. The first normally assess whether you are able to cope at home and look at adjustments before sending you out and the others look to see what improvements can be made once you are home - at least that is how it seemed to work for FIL.

Hope the stroke association can help you.

That's the sort of encouragement I was hoping for Margie, ever thought about taking up physiotherapy? The physio people at Worcester hospital were so lovely but I suspect they dealt with strokes more often than at my local hospital. She was a cow!!!! I've got to get it out of my system!!

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, clearly she was one of those people who just doesn't 'see' the person in front of her, and treat them like a human being. I had a similar experience when recovering from my broken femur. Initially, I went to a BUPA physio (my company was paying) and she was pathetic. It was like she was only used to dealing with very old, infirm people and couldn't see the athletic (cough!) young (ahem!) man in front of her. She cama across as lazy and uninterested, turned up late fr appointments and gave me NO useful advice whatsoever.

After speaking to a friend, she recommended a private physio and he was astonishing, particularly in comparison to the other. He asked me what I wanted to achieve, and I said I wanted to get back running, so he set about with a programme to ensure I achieved it. He wa a true professional and I will be forever grateful to him. Is there any chance you could get to see someone else? Or perhaps your GP might fund a rehabilitation programme at a local gym?

Hi Flutterby, so sorry you have had a bad appointment, I have to agree with Northerner a recommend physio is generally a good idea. We have a physio now that the whole family use and she is brilliant - no question too silly! I was referred to a Bupa physio once who had absolutely no personality at all and kept shaking her head when I asked for the door to be locked. The door led to a corridor and i had to undress down to my knickers!!

I definitely think you should pass your comments on to whoever is in charge. Some people who require physi have difficulty in being able to voice their opinions, so you could be speaking up for others too!

ah sweetie I am sorry to hear you were disapponted in your physio.

Following a number of falls, my father (85) has had great help from the physio at the hospital - but the major help has come from the OT at the hospital - she came out to Dads house and as a result, he has a new walk in shower, rails, all sort of kitchen aids, a trolley to move everything from the kitchen to the dining room.

Karen I know your circumstances are different - but ask your your GP to refer your to the Stroke people at your local hospital and the Occupational Therapy people - push for it

At 85 I see a huge improvement in my Dad, so a young thing like yourself, with the proper help you will make a HUGE improvement

I wish you all the very best, and hope you soon find the right sort of help

She has to ask the questions she did, but she has no people skills by the sound of it. I would definitely write a letter of complaint the way she treated you. Margie suggested about the stress ball, which is a very good idea.. I got my dad one when he had a stroke and it worked good for him.

Have you seen this forum which might have some helpful hints for you.

You can also apply for a disabled facilities grant to help with any alterations you might need.

Getting an OT to come do a home assessment would be a very good idea.

She has to ask the questions she did, but she has no people skills by the sound of it. I would definitely write a letter of complaint the way she treated you. Margie suggested about the stress ball, which is a very good idea.. I got my dad one when he had a stroke and it worked good for him.

Have you seen this forum which might have some helpful hints for you.

You can also apply for a disabled facilities grant to help with any alterations you might need.

Getting an OT to come do a home assessment would be a very good idea.

Thanks Squidge for the link, I haven't come across that forum. Am going to have a look in a minute. 🙂

ah sweetie I am sorry to hear you were disapponted in your physio.

Following a number of falls, my father (85) has had great help from the physio at the hospital - but the major help has come from the OT at the hospital - she came out to Dads house and as a result, he has a new walk in shower, rails, all sort of kitchen aids, a trolley to move everything from the kitchen to the dining room.

Karen I know your circumstances are different - but ask your your GP to refer your to the Stroke people at your local hospital and the Occupational Therapy people - push for it

At 85 I see a huge improvement in my Dad, so a young thing like yourself, with the proper help you will make a HUGE improvement

I wish you all the very best, and hope you soon find the right sort of help

Thanks Hazel, I will definitely get and arrange an OT assessment. I don't need a lot of help but just a grab rail would make me feel safer. I know I'm doing really well and I'm thankful for that but the lady today made me feel really crap for being there. Not nice at all. I will ring the Stroke association tomorrow as they will have more clout than me to get the ball rolling.xx

Thanks to you all for your replies. I have a friend who has also found the local physio at the hospital to be very little help and is paying privately to see someone who is taking her on leaps and bounds. I didn't want huge ihelp, just a bit of understanding into how even my relatively minor problems affect me day to day. It was this lady's attitude that was so unhelpful. I don't mind answering all the questions again, I know what it's like in these situations but just be nice to me!! Don't snap at me when I misunderstand the question or directly dispute what I'm saying, that's just plain rude! I will get the stroke association to help, they are better able to and it saves me making dozens of phone calls! The physio team in the hospital were so lovely, they really encouraged me and listened to what I was telling them. Maybe the local lady was having a bad day - she certainly made me feel bad for being there. thanks again all of you.xx

Hi Sorry to hear of the pathetic treat ment you got .... Go forit and complain!

I had a stroke 2 years ago now and the physio's in the hosp where a bit like that too ..... but when I got home I was referred to O Health Physio's and they were amazing . Thet asked you what hobbies you had etc ......and what I wanted to achieve ...... so they set a targat to aim for ......which I didn't think I could do . gave me different exercises etc , I learnt to striaghten my R arm ... and I thought I couldnt . but after persevering I did it hahaa unfortunately I have Nerve damage on the R side ....... but Hey I am living hahah
anyway when in hospital I asked about a wheelchair and loo . cos loo is upstairs at home here ... The long & short of it I had to fight for it ...... and I won in the end .... They always say the help is out there but by gum you have to fight for it and its wrong

its so frustrating I know ..... but I hope you get what you want!😉
Hugs Mo xx

Hi Sorry to hear of the pathetic treat ment you got .... Go forit and complain!

I had a stroke 2 years ago now and the physio's in the hosp where a bit like that too ..... but when I got home I was referred to O Health Physio's and they were amazing . Thet asked you what hobbies you had etc ......and what I wanted to achieve ...... so they set a targat to aim for ......which I didn't think I could do . gave me different exercises etc , I learnt to striaghten my R arm ... and I thought I couldnt . but after persevering I did it hahaa unfortunately I have Nerve damage on the R side ....... but Hey I am living hahah
anyway when in hospital I asked about a wheelchair and loo . cos loo is upstairs at home here ... The long & short of it I had to fight for it ...... and I won in the end .... They always say the help is out there but by gum you have to fight for it and its wrong

its so frustrating I know ..... but I hope you get what you want!😉
Hugs Mo xx

Thanks Mo, that's encouraging. You have achieved so much, well done. I'm 44 and they say that my body is able to recover better because of age but also obviously I'm used to doing more and so I will be more aware of the tiredness etc. Our loo is upstairs too but I can manage as things stand. My O/H is unemployed so he's been at home to give me some security and support. As and when he get's a job I will be home alone, but I can do things in my own time. I'm really scared in case it happens again and the consultant says I'm high risk - I suppose because I've just had one. My BP, weight etc is fine,I've never smoked. Cholesterol is 5.6 but I'm on a statin now to lower that so hopefully I will be ok. thanks again for your encouragement. Karen.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back