was this a hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,

I have had an on-going problem for a while now (stomach) and today my gp told me to go straight to A&E as he was worried. Anyway, when i got there they put me on a heart trace and my blood pressure was 140/69. Then 10 minutes later I felt very odd and shaky and sweating etc and asked the nurse if i could lie down. She said my blood pressure was 104/45 and this was why i felt shaky.
I then realised i hadnt eaten anything all day and wondered if i was actually feeling hypo? Anyway, they checked me over and said all was ok and gave me some advice etc. When i got home i tested myself and i was 4mmols.

So, my question is ; If these were hypo symptoms - would that have made my blood pressure drop?:confused:Bev

Hi Bev,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say I hope your feeling better soon and the problem gets resolved soon as possible.

Emma x

Thanks Emma - thats very sweet of you. How is that beautiful baby of yours doing - keeping you up at night?🙂Bev

Things aren't going too well she's got colic so hardly sleep's but don't want to take over your thread about it x

I dont mind! Do you give her anything for it! I used to give mine something in a grey and red bottle on the tongue - i cant remember its name though - will ask my sister. Also i used to lie baby on the tummy with just a nappy on and gently massage the back - it does release the gas etc! Or lie her on her tummy over the length of your forearm with her arms and legs dangling down and move her back and forward - the pressure from your arm helps to press the tummy and relieve the pain. I hope it settles for you both.🙂Bev

Yes got some infacol yesterday and have been massaging her tummy also been told to try some water because babies need a little water if being bottlefed, I will try laying her on my arm thank you 😉 have got some other options from the health visitor to try if they don't work x

Hi all,

I have had an on-going problem for a while now (stomach) and today my gp told me to go straight to A&E as he was worried. Anyway, when i got there they put me on a heart trace and my blood pressure was 140/69. Then 10 minutes later I felt very odd and shaky and sweating etc and asked the nurse if i could lie down. She said my blood pressure was 104/45 and this was why i felt shaky.
I then realised i hadnt eaten anything all day and wondered if i was actually feeling hypo? Anyway, they checked me over and said all was ok and gave me some advice etc. When i got home i tested myself and i was 4mmols.

So, my question is ; If these were hypo symptoms - would that have made my blood pressure drop?:confused:Bev

I'm not aware of BP being associated with hypos bev, but then I've not been able to test BP when hypo so it might happen to some people. That's quite a drop and the lower figure is very low! Did you get up too quickly after being sat down? You may just have felt faint from the hunger. 4 mmols is low, but not unexpected I think for a non-diabetic who hasn't eaten for some time.

I hope that you are feeling better soon (and little Jessica too Emma!)🙂

Well theres only one thing for it - you better pop her in the post to me and I will sit and nurse her! Infacol - thats it!🙂Bev

I'm not aware of BP being associated with hypos bev, but then I've not been able to test BP when hypo so it might happen to some people. That's quite a drop and the lower figure is very low! Did you get up too quickly after being sat down? You may just have felt faint from the hunger. 4 mmols is low, but not unexpected I think for a non-diabetic who hasn't eaten for some time.

I hope that you are feeling better soon (and little Jessica too Emma!)🙂

Hi Northey,
I was lying down the whole time - so bit odd that i should suddenly drop i thought. Anyway, I was just wondering if this is how it felt for a diabetic - as its a horrible feeling and could explain why you feel so bad when hypo.😱🙂Bev

Hi Northey,
I was lying down the whole time - so bit odd that i should suddenly drop i thought. Anyway, I was just wondering if this is how it felt for a diabetic - as its a horrible feeling and could explain why you feel so bad when hypo.😱🙂Bev

I have sometimes felt hypo when I was actually very hungry (but still at something like 5.5 or more), so the sensations can feel very similar, in the early stages of a hypo at least. As you drop down to 3 or below the symptoms are much more like panic than feeling faint. I shake, my eyesight goes wobbly, my heart starts a-pounding, and I can sweat profusely whilst feeling cold at the same time! Maybe next time it happens I will try my BP monitor (I have one of those wrist ones) as well as my BG meter!🙂

Oh boy! I hope you're feeling better. I have low blood pressure and anaemia, always have had. I only had a few hypos before the doc took me off Gliclazide and my BP was never measured during one, so I can't swear that there's no link. I can say the symptoms are very similar though.

Last edited:
I have sometimes felt hypo when I was actually very hungry (but still at something like 5.5 or more), so the sensations can feel very similar, in the early stages of a hypo at least. As you drop down to 3 or below the symptoms are much more like panic than feeling faint. I shake, my eyesight goes wobbly, my heart starts a-pounding, and I can sweat profusely whilst feeling cold at the same time! Maybe next time it happens I will try my BP monitor (I have one of those wrist ones) as well as my BG meter!🙂

Northey - dont you dare go looking for your BP monitor when your hypo - you make me worry enough!😱🙂Bev

Hya bev

I hope you feel better soon! . I tested mine a few weeks ago as I was cooking tea and felt shaky and my heart was beating fast. I tested and my b/s was 3.8 i then realised I had only had half a piece of toast all day. x

Hi all,

Hi Bev

It would depend on what your normal BP is....although the normal range is approx 120/60 mmhg your BP may normally be lower ....stress can cause BP to rise so the first reading of 140/69 may in fact have been higher than your normal (hope that makes sense?) because of situation. If the heart tracing was ok then i would suggest seeing Gp to get your BP checked.....this way you'll know what it records under stress free circumstances.

As you stated you were lying down all the time it rules out something called postural hypotension when the BP can drop dramatically upon standing....usually feel dizzy and shaky when this happens.

best wishes

Ness

Hi Bev

It would depend on what your normal BP is....although the normal range is approx 120/60 mmhg your BP may normally be lower ....stress can cause BP to rise so the first reading of 140/69 may in fact have been higher than your normal (hope that makes sense?) because of situation. If the heart tracing was ok then i would suggest seeing Gp to get your BP checked.....this way you'll know what it records under stress free circumstances.

As you stated you were lying down all the time it rules out something called postural hypotension when the BP can drop dramatically upon standing....usually feel dizzy and shaky when this happens.

best wishes

Ness

Hi Ness,
Thanks for the information. Yes - that makes sense to me - so your saying that perhaps i might normally be 130/60 (for example) and the stress caused the higher level and then i relaxed - but a bit too much? Are you a medical person or do you just know lots? lol🙂Bev

Its certainly a possibility Bev but as suggested if you're worried or if it happens again best to see GP. Hope you're feeling better now though....these things can scare us can't they.

Ness

Good job you were lying down as it sounds like you were going into a faint with your BP dropping like that... I did find this about fainting and low BP and low sugars..

"Fainting that begins gradually with warning symptoms and also disappears gradually suggests changes in the blood, such as a decreased level of sugar (hypoglycemia) or carbon dioxide (hypocapnia). Hypocapnia is often preceded by a pins-and-needles sensation in the fingertips and around the lips."

Well theres only one thing for it - you better pop her in the post to me and I will sit and nurse her! Infacol - thats it!🙂Bev

Yes I'll post her to auntie bev, I thought the bottle you described sounded like infacol 😉 x

Yes I'll post her to auntie bev, I thought the bottle you described sounded like infacol 😉 x

If you send her first thing in the morning i will get the bottles sterilised! I love nursing babies! How is she now?🙂Bev

If you send her first thing in the morning i will get the bottles sterilised! I love nursing babies! How is she now?🙂Bev

Much better starting to sleep a little now :D (hope I don't jinx it) she's just woken up from a 6 hour sleep 😱 I went to check on her because I was worried. She'll be there by midday 😉 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back