Wart treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcoated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have noticed i have a small wart growing on side of my thumb. Can diabetics use wart cream? Its says its salicylic acid but it carries a diabetic warning.
Can't imagine getting an appointment with my GP because of a wart?
Any advice please.

The key concern with any treatment used on the feet with a diabetic is that you risk damaging the skin and allowing infection in and as you will be aware, our feet are at higher risk of infection than the general population. If you have good BG management and are confident that you can use a treatment carefully without breaking the skin and keep a close eye on your feet and they are currently healthy, then I see no problem with using products like this but you take the responsibility yourself and I very much doubt a doctor can make the call any better than you can yourself anyway, once you understand the concerns and keep them in mind during treatment and afterwards in keeping a close eye on it afterwards.

I appreciate that you are talking about a wart on your thumb and therefore hands and not feet which are less at risk but still a valid issue although they don't worry about us pricking our fingers to check BG levels so this is even less of a risk I would say and generally our hands are more active than our feet so the blood flow is better and keeps them healthier.

Just really wanted to give a full explanation so that anyone reading this with warts on their feet and considering such treatment would know what the risks are and how to mitigate them. We all know that getting to speak to a health care professional is not easy these days and even on the phone they are not in a position to make that judgement because they haven't seen your hands or feet recently.

If it is not troubling you or painful, I would leave it alone. They often go away by themselves sooner or later.

**Disclaimer - this is NOT a recommendation!!**
I did once try the old wives' tale of rubbing one with the inside of a broad bean pod for a couple of nights - which seemed to work, but it might just have been coincidence!

If it is not troubling you or painful, I would leave it alone. They often go away by themselves sooner or later.

**Disclaimer - this is NOT a recommendation!!**
I did once try the old wives' tale of rubbing one with the inside of a broad bean pod for a couple of nights - which seemed to work, but it might just have been coincidence!
Similarly when I was a kid a friend had warts on her hands and a Romany who came to the door told her rub her hands with a cut potato, it seemed to work. Coincidence?

Thank you. I think I'm worried about it spreading. They say they're highly contagious. And I'm being rather vain, in wanting to get rid of it.
I'm seeing my diabetic Dr on Tues so might see what he says.
My sugars are very good with only the occasional high when I'm on time of the month & have no circulation problems.

Thank you. I think I'm worried about it spreading. They say they're highly contagious. And I'm being rather vain, in wanting to get rid of it.
I'm seeing my diabetic Dr on Tues so might see what he says.
My sugars are very good with only the occasional high when I'm on time of the month & have no circulation problems.
They are caused by a virus and will usually respond to the wart treatment you have. Do be careful about spreading to other people so good hand hygiene is important, don't share towels etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back