Warning - Omnipod PDM - problem with battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had an email from Insulet about the Omnipod Dash PDM. Here’s the main info:

We have received reports from some Omnipod DASH users regarding PDM battery issues, including battery swelling, fluid leaking from the battery, and, in rare cases, extreme overheating which may pose a fire hazard. Our investigation has determined that the Omnipod DASH PDM is at increased risk if charged to full capacity, particularly, if left to charge for extended periods of time (e.g. overnight). Omnipod DASH PDMs in use more than 18 months may have an increased likelihood of this issue occurring.

Solution: We have identified an update to the Omnipod DASH PDM that will address this issue. We expect to begin shipping updated Omnipod DASH PDMs to current customers in the coming months.

Just thought I’d best share the news. I think I’ll be leaving the PDM in the bath tub tonite, just in case! 😱

Thanks for heads up Bloden.

My first Dash PDM was rubbish battery wise & got worse, had it replaced last month & all has been good since, so wonder if I've got updated version.

Many time left old one on charge longer than needed, makes you shudder to think there was potential fire hazard there.

Many time left old one on charge longer than needed, makes you shudder to think there was potential fire hazard there.
I know! My wise-cracking BF said not to leave it charging on top of a stack of newspapers, next to a bag of fireworks...she’s as daft as a brush. I hope you don’t have to change handset again.

EDIT - Spotted that you’d already posted about this @Bloden so I’ve merged the threads 🙂

Insulet have issued a voluntary Field Safety Notification to provide information about the Omnipod DASH Personal Diabetes Manager (PDM) battery and instructions to reduce the risk of Omnipod DASH PDM battery issues. It is important to note that no injuries have been reported to Insulet as a result of these Omnipod DASH PDM battery issues.

This does NOT affect the Omnipod DASH Pods or the Omnipod® Insulin Management System.

Issue Description: We have received reports from some Omnipod DASH users regarding PDM battery issues, including battery swelling, fluid leaking from the battery, and, in rare cases, extreme overheating which may pose a fire hazard. Our investigation has determined that the Omnipod DASH PDM is at increased risk if charged to full capacity, particularly, if left to charge for extended periods of time (e.g. overnight). Omnipod DASH PDMs in use more than 18 months may have an increased likelihood of this issue occurring.

Solution: We have identified an update to the Omnipod DASH PDM that will address this issue. We expect to begin shipping updated Omnipod DASH PDMs to current customers in the coming months.

You do not need to call to receive an updated Omnipod DASH PDM, one will automatically be shipped to you when available.

See http://omnipod.com/en-gb/fsn-10-2022

Last edited:
Also got the email. It says not to charge it more than 85%, but unless you stand over it and watch it when it's charging that's virtually impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back