wants to put me on new drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i am diabetic type 2 on metformin 4 a day 500 mg each and on Gliclazide 80mg x 2 a day and Gliclazide 40mg tablets 1 in afternoon or 1 through the night if im on nights as i work shifts for the Ambulance service in a and e control room.

Since having covid my blood sugars are higher than normal, so doctor wants to put me on Invokana 100mg ,aswell as my other meds, As i have a history of allergic reactions to quite a few medications and Jabs i always read the patient leaflet, on reading the leaflet for Invokana i was shocked to read some of the side effects mainly one it says 'this medicine may increase your risk of having leg, toe or midfoot amputations, this has sent me in panic mode and i have not taken them, also on checking online , quite a number of patients have experienced bad side affects and some have had amputations or hospitalized with ketoasidosis, My gp in ringing me this afternoon as want to talk to him about this but i dont want to take them.

Anyone heard of this drug or side effects or if they have had it.

thanks Janey

Hi i am diabetic type 2 on metformin 4 a day 500 mg each and on Gliclazide 80mg x 2 a day and Gliclazide 40mg tablets 1 in afternoon or 1 through the night if im on nights as i work shifts for the Ambulance service in a and e control room.

Since having covid my blood sugars are higher than normal, so doctor wants to put me on Invokana 100mg ,aswell as my other meds, As i have a history of allergic reactions to quite a few medications and Jabs i always read the patient leaflet, on reading the leaflet for Invokana i was shocked to read some of the side effects mainly one it says 'this medicine may increase your risk of having leg, toe or midfoot amputations, this has sent me in panic mode and i have not taken them, also on checking online , quite a number of patients have experienced bad side affects and some have had amputations or hospitalized with ketoasidosis, My gp in ringing me this afternoon as want to talk to him about this but i dont want to take them.

Anyone heard of this drug or side effects or if they have had it.

thanks Janey
Do discus your worries with your doctor. It is a medication which removes excess glucose from the body via urine so it is recommended that people do drink plenty of fluids and of course the consequence of that is more frequent loo visits and also as the urine is then 'sugary' a increased risk of UTI.
What dietary regime are you adopting to help lower blood glucose as that may be something to revisit.

Do discus your worries with your doctor. It is a medication which removes excess glucose from the body via urine so it is recommended that people do drink plenty of fluids and of course the consequence of that is more frequent loo visits and also as the urine is then 'sugary' a increased risk of UTI.
What dietary regime are you adopting to help lower blood glucose as that may be something to revisit.
Hi Thanks , before covid i was doing very well not changed my diet its since i had a bad bout of covid that things have started going downhill, thanks

Hi. Are you also keeping the carbs down which helps minimise the meds you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back