• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community
  • If you’re a healthcare professional, you can now book your spot on our Diabetes UK Professional Conference Here

Wanting to help young families / newly diagnosed.

MBoland

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good Afternoon,

Born in 1990 & Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 1994.
I recently “helped out” a 8 year old who had been diagnosed 18+ months ago with diabetes, it was a friend of a family friend and his parents were struggling with the everyday problems and found the doctors/nurses at times didn’t understand certain situations they found themselves in, as a family.
Since this, i’ve developed a really good relationship with the young lad, and I feel the support/advice has been beneficial for everyone, myself included.
I’ve been reflecting on my own upbringing with diabetes aswell as my parents situation growing up and I don’t believe there is enough support outside of the diabetic nurses / doctors etc other than forums & support groups.
I wanted to put this out there to any parents who are struggling with their new found situation and offer a helping hand / advice of someone who has grown up and managed my diabetes for 26+ years and I’ve come out the other side as a healthy 30 year old.
Thanks for listening!

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @MBoland
Thank you for joining the forum and for your very helpful message.
I'm sure that the family that you have helped will have gained a lot from your support and advice.

There are also several parents and young people on the forum that will be very encouraged by your positive approach and re-assurance on eventual outcome.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
You could get in touch with Diabetes UK and become a volunteer. At this moment in time one to ones and groups probably aren’t happening but they may do something remotely. There is a befriending service ( phone calls) being trialled in my area ( Cumbria) I volunteered, had some training and got DBS checked but a lot of the staff were furloughed and nothing has come of it yet. Your other option is to help out parents of newly diagnosed children on our parent thread or indeed anyone on any of our threads. All help and experience welcome.

Last edited:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just what I was going to suggest @eggyg

I think @SB2015 has volunteered at Young People / family events.

Probably easier and safer for you as all the DBS and safeguarding stuff about working with young people is all done for you :)

Well done for what you’ve done though. Sounds like you have had a very positive impact :)

MBoland

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Cheers Folks,
I’ve actually applied for a DBS over the weekend to help anything moving forward.
I volunteered yesterday also, but as mentioned above - Given the situation with the world at the moment, I think this will be later down the line before any form of normality is resumed.
Really appreciate your input/help.
Any other recommendations, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In my opinion @MBoland one of the best ways to help out is on this very forum. If you reply here, then your comments not only help the person who started the thread, but the many people who browse this forum after diagnosis and read all the threads that chime with their experience.

Perhaps you could reply to some threads here and offer your help. You could also do a lot of reading on safeguarding so you understand what’s appropriate and what’s not.