Want to gain weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrowman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As a ten-week-old diagnosed with type2, I am concerned about my weight loss over the past year.
I've lost three stones in the past ten months and a stone of that since diagnosed with type2.

I have been on Metformin, Foxiga and yesterday I was again changed to Gliclazide, all of which say I may gain weight using them - but I don't!!

So, the question is, can anyone recommend foods that will help me increase my weight whilst sticking to the foods I'm supposed to be eating?

From what you say I assume you don't need to lose weight or not any more. Often weight loss without trying can be a pointer to Type 1 or LADA rather than Type 2.
There are tests that you could ask for if that is the case, c-peptide and GAD antibodies.
As far a putting on or maintaining weight then making sure you are eating enough protein and healthy fats. Peanut butter, avocado, nuts, eggs, cheese, olives, full fat dairy are all things you could include.

Thank you for that @Leadinglights. As a newbie to the forum, and from what I have managed to glean from the information I've read, I've wrongly assumed everything with full fat was out so I'm off to make a cheese and peanut butter sandwich now.
Thanks again....

Thank you for that @Leadinglights. As a newbie to the forum, and from what I have managed to glean from the information I've read, I've wrongly assumed everything with full fat was out so I'm off to make a cheese and peanut butter sandwich now.
Thanks again....
Fat does not convert to glucose and unless you need reduced fat for other medical reasons full fat is fine. Some people who have a low calorie approach would be watchful of fats as well.

Thank you
I can start drinking milk again now as I've been avoiding that too.

Thank you
I can start drinking milk again now as I've been avoiding that too.
Or even have cream in your coffee or on berries.
You might find the book or app Carbs and Cals useful as it gives carb values of lots of foods and meals so it really helps to make better food choices and has pictures of different portion sizes. I must say it was and is my bible and some things were a real surprise.
Also get used to looking at the TOTAL carbs on packets or search the internet for the total carbs in the nutritional information. Shop websites are quite useful so you can make your decision before you go shopping.

As a ten-week-old diagnosed with type2, I am concerned about my weight loss over the past year.
I've lost three stones in the past ten months and a stone of that since diagnosed with type2.

I have been on Metformin, Foxiga and yesterday I was again changed to Gliclazide, all of which say I may gain weight using them - but I don't!!

So, the question is, can anyone recommend foods that will help me increase my weight whilst sticking to the foods I'm supposed to be eating?
Hi,

I didn't lose too much weight but enough for me . I went to a dietician who advised the best and healthiest way was to include avocado and nuts into my diet. But a warning, go easy they are both very calorific. Good luck

Hi,

I didn't lose too much weight but enough for me . I went to a dietician who advised the best and healthiest way was to include avocado and nuts into my diet. But a warning, go easy they are both very calorific. Good luck
Thank you @Sharron1 I'm eating unsalted nuts but didn't know about avocado, in fact I don't think I've ever eaten any so that's on the shopping list.

Or even have cream in your coffee or on berries.
You might find the book or app Carbs and Cals useful as it gives carb values of lots of foods and meals so it really helps to make better food choices and has pictures of different portion sizes. I must say it was and is my bible and some things were a real surprise.
Also get used to looking at the TOTAL carbs on packets or search the internet for the total carbs in the nutritional information. Shop websites are quite useful so you can make your decision before you go shopping.
Wow, am I in for some treats 🙂 @Leadinglights. I've downloaded the app and will have a good look at it tonight and possibly buy the book too....Thanks again.

You are now talking my language.
Have a look at the thread on the forum called "Let's learn how to bake/cook keto" contrary to most people's ideas keto is not a weight loss way of eating unless you want it to be. It involves high fat, moderate protein and very low carbs - so it can be ideal for keeping diabetes under control. I have used it over the last three years to keep mine under control with no meds.

There are quite a few recipes in there that should wet your whistle.

Thank you @Sharron1 I'm eating unsalted nuts but didn't know about avocado, in fact I don't think I've ever eaten any so that's on the shopping list.
The avos need to be ripe but not over ripe, they are good with a dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a bit of pepper, or you can cut up and have on salad, or make a guacamole to have with chilli or other spicy food.

Hi. Do ask the GP for the two tests for T1/LADA as unexpected weight loss can be due to being T1 rather than T2. Gliclazide will only possibly cause weight gain if you have a lot of carbs. The fact that you don't is a pointer to loss of beta cells and hence LADA. How is your BS behaving? Is it increasing?

Wow, am I in for some treats 🙂 @Leadinglights. I've downloaded the app and will have a good look at it tonight and possibly buy the book too....Thanks again.

Many forum members find that ‘good fats‘ (things like nuts, seeds, olive oil, oily fish, mediterranean style diet) can be a helpful addition to their menu.

People with diabetes are generally advised to be slightly cautious about fat intake, especially saturated fats, because lots of research associates saturated fat intake with increased heart disease risk.

Hi. Do ask the GP for the two tests for T1/LADA as unexpected weight loss can be due to being T1 rather than T2. Gliclazide will only possibly cause weight gain if you have a lot of carbs. The fact that you don't is a pointer to loss of beta cells and hence LADA. How is your BS behaving? Is it increasing?
Thank you @DaveB I will do that at next week's appointment on Wednesday.

Oh, and my BS average is 6.3 over the last 6 weeks. (Lowest 6.0 Highest 6.5

I too had lost a lot of weight when first diagnosed and was also prescribed gliclazide. Eventually it was discovered that I was suffering from pancreatic enzyme insuffiency and was put on PERT pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy, and this has brought a remarkable about-turn to my weight loss. I now take creon capsules with every meal.

Have a look at the thread on the forum called "Let's learn how to bake/cook keto" contrary to most people's ideas keto is not a weight loss way of eating unless you want it to be. It involves high fat, moderate protein and very low carbs - so it can be ideal for keeping diabetes under control. I have used it over the last three years to keep mine under control
Have a look at the thread on the forum called "Let's learn how to bake/cook keto" contrary to most people's ideas keto is not a weight loss way of eating unless you want it to be. It involves high fat, moderate protein and very low carbs - so it can be ideal for keeping diabetes under control. I have used it over the last three years to keep mine under control with no meds.

There are quite a few recipes in there that should wet your whistle.

ooh I’m jumping in here if no one minds, I’ve wondered that about the keto diet as I want to do low carb but not loose weight. Similar situation to @NotWorriedAtAll in that I was diagnosed as type 2 , lost too much weight then diagnosed as LADA type 1. I’m very sensitive to insulin but resistant to it at the same time. If I go over 40g of carbs my ratios don’t work . If I stay under I’m fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back