Wallander - tv series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just watched a recorded episode of Wallander where the man himself was diagnosed type 2 diabetic. The Doc speaking to Wallander says: 'You are lucky you have type 2 not full blown diabetes'. I just wondered what your reaction to that is. I have been told a few times I am 'not a real diabetic'. So what do you think!!! :confused:

Diabetes is diabetes. If we are not careful, we will start differentiating on this board.
I have already noticed it on a couple of posts. Very sad

I have just watched a recorded episode of Wallander where the man himself was diagnosed type 2 diabetic. The Doc speaking to Wallander says: 'You are lucky you have type 2 not full blown diabetes'. I just wondered what your reaction to that is. I have been told a few times I am 'not a real diabetic'. So what do you think!!! :confused:

I nearly posted something about this myself - I thought it was dreadful that, yet again, TV portrayal of diabetes is poorly researched and presented. The main reason for it's inclusion at all seemed to be so thay could make the 'HONK' joke. I also found it very poor that, although he had collapsed and had just been diagnosed, all he seemed to be offered was a leaflet. OK, I know it's fiction and not a drama about diabetes, but they could have just put in a line like 'This is a serious condition, you need to see your doctor to discuss treatment', so the watching public might stop and think a little.

I'm doing an OU course at the moment called 'Diabetes Care' - very interesting and useful, I'd recommend it!. One of the things stressed early on is that diabetes is diabetes, whatever its origin, there is no such thing as 'mild' diabetes.

In some ways, I think a diagnosis of Type 2 is potentially worse than Type 1, as the person may have had poor BG for many years and be at greater risk of complications. Also, they may have to make much greater and more difficult changes to diet and lifestyle.

Lucky to be type 2? I don't consider it to be lucky to be anyform of diabetic. It is something we all have to learn to live with, and if we are not good we can all get the same complications.

I think we probably need to raise peoples awreness with more advertising and education, and pray one day for some Star Trek technology that fixes all the bits that wont or can't work!

worst film for its representation of diabetes has to be con air... think it made my blood boil and spoiled an otherwise good fun film

bad TV representations of diabetes

I remember seeing a British TV detective / police series sometime ago - possibly around 10 years ago - where the detective discovered a teapot containing urine with high sugar levels, so they concluded the suspect had diabetes... Having sugar in urine might be realistic for poorly controlled or undiagnosed diabetes, but peeing in a teapot is surely unusual behaviour for most humans?!? Sorry, can't remember the name of the series.

Hmmm....diabetes is diabetes whatever the type. One of my closest friends is type 1 and I spend hours pondering which one of us is the 'luckiest'. Both the same in my book - just treated differently!

I live with my aunt who has type 2 diabetes and can honestly say they are both pretty annoying!! Neither of us is luckier than the other, living with our respective diabetes types is completely different for both of us. Except when it comes to having a great excuse for some "hypo chocolate" 🙂

Well I am taking 11 tablets per day for my TYPE 2 DIABETES so if I am not a diabetic shall I stop taking them all.......lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back