Wall of home knocked down to get morbidly obese teenager to hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
More than 40 emergency staff and builders knocked down a wall to remove a morbidly obese young women from her home after she became ill and could not be taken for treatment any other way.

Fire crews, doctors and paramedics were assisted by council officials and scaffolders in the eight-hour operation to extricate Georgia Davis, 19, from her home in Aberdare, south Wales. Windows and part of a wall were reportedly removed from the terraced house before Davis was winched down in a special stretcher via scaffolding, with the scene screened off.

The teenager achieved tabloid notoriety in 2008 when, aged 15, she weighed 209kg (33 stone). She was featured on page one of the Sun as "Britain's fattest teen" and portrayed as an exemplar of a society in which significant obesity, particularly among the young, has become endemic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/25/wall-knocked-down-obese-teenager-wales?newsfeed=true

I saw this on the news tonight. They said her weight was now estimated at 50 stones. Utterly shocking.

I'm not going to make any adverse comments because I know of a lady who piled weight on and piled it on and they never actually found out why; she actually said more than once she wished it was caused by over eating and slobbing out because you can just stop doing that - yes she knew and I know that's easier said than done. But basically she meant, then it would be in her control. Her weight gain wasn't. She's basically had a gastric bypass, it was that or die, so she did it.

I know when I was little, there were odd people who were enormously fat and that was just after the war, when nobody could pig out - I actually still remember rationing for certain things when I was young. Nobody used to say 'Who ate all the pies?' about these people, they would say 'There goes poor Mr/Mrs Bloggs, such a shame, he/she is a lovely person - and they can't find out what's wrong'.

I wonder why - when it isn't a case of pies cos they've had em in hospital for weeks on 600 cals a day and exercise or whatever and the weight's continued to go on - they STILL, after over 55 years, can't find out what's really causing it for these people.

It just made my blood boil when AOL featured this story on their front page saying the police closed the road to avoid onlookers, then posted a whole series of pictures!!!

Bl**dy media 😱

Good grief!

😱 CONDENSED milk!

and TINNED potatoes!

They are a lot more expensive than the old fashioned sort of spuds LOL But of course, far less labour intensive.

I recall when Instant Custard first came out, wondering aloud why, wasn't custard pretty instant anyway? and my mother saying it was because people must now be far too lazy to wash the milk saucepan .... so that was before 1971 as I must have still been living at home .....

TG the mother is too old to continue her gene pool ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back