Walking to work cuts diabetes risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
People who want to significantly reduce their risk of diabetes should consider walking to work.

UK scientists have discovered that those who walk to work rather than drive are 40% less likely to have the condition.

They studied the health data relating to some 20,000 people and found that those who walked, cycled or even used public transport were less likely to be overweight than those who drove or took taxis.

Those who walked were 40% less likely to have diabetes and 17% less likely to have high blood pressure than those who drove to work.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=22452

NSS!

Unfortunately, large numbers of people do not live within walking distance of work. Recruiters also make driving an 'essential' in many job profiles, often unnecessarily. I always challenge that point if I can demonstrate that cycling is a viable option.

NSS!

Unfortunately, large numbers of people do not live within walking distance of work. Recruiters also make driving an 'essential' in many job profiles, often unnecessarily. I always challenge that point if I can demonstrate that cycling is a viable option.

Since I have never held a driving license I have always walked (or run!) to an dfrom work, avoiding public transport if possible. I think what bugs me is that people who lived the same distance or less from where I worked would drive, even though I could clearly demonstrate it wasn't necessary! In my last job I could even beat a cyclist home by running (could take a slightly shorter route 🙂)

I think it's a nice idea if we still lived in the 30's or whenever it was that most people lived close to their work (if there was a time).

Right now I'm fairly lucky that I live about 1 mile from my place of work but not so long ago it was 20 miles and there wasn't any form of direct public transport (google says 2 hrs by 3 buses or 30 minutes by car).

If you were a single female would you really want to walk alone in the dark? Even in a relatively "safe" area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back